bright , live room causing bright fatiguing sound??? help needed urgently so that i avoid bills for ear surgery soon

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
my system consist of arcam avr250. B&W 603 s2, 601 s1, cc6 s2 . gale xl315 cable for rear channel and ixos gamma 6006 for HF and gale xl315 for LF for 603 s2 front channel . Source FLAC, AAC from pc via usb sound card to digital coax in of arcam

Listening room- my lounge *** kitchen

HI all. help needed from forums members so that i dont need to go for ear surgery soon

I live in a high rise all concrete apartment .My lounge is almost 22 feets length wise, 15 feets width wise.

its naturally all concrete with wooden laminate flooring .one whole wall which is width of lounge is made up of glass.there are blinds on it, no curtains. Also furniture is minimalistic comprised of leather clad chairs, one small coffee table and one big shelf with books and some stools. Shape of my lounge is odd with kitchen area at roughly 30% to listening area.

i listen to all kind of music for very long hours, sometimes 5 to 8 hours at a stretch. The sound to say the least is fatiguing and bit harsh as well.Sound stage is there but sweet spot is really limited to one chair that too at a particular position. Also i rarely get the feeling of different musical instruments playing at different places in rooms. I had a wharfedale evo 2 20 and nad amplifier before in a different house and used to get effect of live orchestra playing in my room.I miss this a lot in current room/speaker setup

when i move 603 s2 away from wall soundstage improves but on the expense of sound becoming clear and open which in my room causes fatigue

I though of changing speakers to warmer sounding speakers and went to Superfi. they said the problem is my room not the speakers .they said B&W and arcam both are warm sounding.Told me to buy some curtains and thicker rug.I put a quilt in between my speakers and listening chair, it did make the sound warmer. the problem is i am not sure how long i will be in this apartment.At least till June end but may shift to another apartment after it or may be a house.This is rented apartment so if i invest in rugs curtains etc, it may be all waste after three months or so.

I went out today, thinking of auditioning Dali ikon6, mordaunt short aviano, monitor audio RX6, RX8 and Wharfedale diamonds but sales guy told that all these will be brighter then B&W 603 s2 including B&W 683 !! so i didnot audition any of them as i was told first to change the room accoustics to make it warmer.

also i am missing the tight bass which i used to get on same speakers with Denon avr1604 so i thought of going for speaker with two bass drivers or bigger bass drivers but now i dont know what to do?

my first priority is warm , mellow sound with good soundstage and stereo imaging but with details.second priority is tighter bass.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
"

also i am missing the tight bass which i used to get on same speakers with Denon avr1604 so i thought of going for speaker with two bass drivers or bigger bass drivers but now i dont know what to do?"

thats the wrong thing to do.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
only thing that I might find it could chande the sound significantly is the window.

no support for curtains? if you have them Id try a blanket on them and see if it changes the sound.If you get curtains you can take them when you move.its not expensive.

A

Anonymous

ear:"

also i am missing the tight bass which i used to get on same speakers with Denon avr1604 so i thought of going for speaker with two bass drivers or bigger bass drivers but now i dont know what to do?"

thats the wrong thing to do.

sorry did not get the meaning.

i have some j hooks ,i am thinking of hanging quilts right away.hhmm on second thought,it will be quite an amusing sight for part goers of nottingham watching a guy hanging quilts on window.

A

Anonymous

thanks Ear, Craig and lazar for all the help till now.

i have just now tried putting a thick duvet/quilt over windows.it covered more then one third of total area.i also spread a duvet on the rug between me and speakers.

it did tone down the harshness a bit and sound became bit mellow but not by a large degree .i will check these carnival cable tomorrow as well.any other suggestions.i did also try putting big cushions on the wall behind speakers, this also may be caused a small improvement. I need more duvets to experiment.will borrow some tomorrow.

any other suggestions?

right speaker is almost 3 feet away from glass window.

A

Anonymous

IMO no cable will rectify the problem, so don't waste your money ..... the problem is with your room ....

you could research the use of bass traps (check google) .... or look at buying some older transmission design speakers which sell for cheap on ebay (old B&W DM2 or old IMF TLS50 or IMF TLS40)

A

Anonymous

Hey, maybe this helps...

I'm currently auditioning a pair of lovely smooth sounding speakers for the same reasons you mentioned.

I own pair of B&W matrix 804's and i had them one point in time sounding terrific...with a marantz surround reciever SR5300 backed up with a Atoll poweramp AM200. They sounded powerfull, warm with plenty of bass, with a Marantz CD17 KI.

We move, i upgrade the reciever to SR6004 for HDMI reasons and guess what, they sound too bright and harsh. The livingroom is larger and harder, floor and lots of naked walls, glass...found the matching Atoll preamp PR300 for that Atoll for a discount price, with it's bypass function ideal to make a surround system and a stereo system...still the same problem. Overbright. Man, spin a disc like coldplay and it makes you run for cover. I now it's due too amps, both of them being much brighter than the old SR5300 and partly to room acoustics but not in the mood to change either because living room looks good the way he is and the Atoll combo is one hell of piece of electronics, far superior to that old surround reciever...

Friendly guy at the local hifi store let me take a pair of Dynaudio's Excite 16 home to test, they sounded lovely in the store but hey, home is where they must sound good. I was actually shopping for the more expensive focus 140 but he hadn't them in the shop at that time.

Guess what, this budget friendly 'little' speaker sounds pretty damn good with surprisingly good tight bass, and above all smooth treble and a somewhat more laidback midrange. I have yet to find a disc that doesn't sound good in my cd collection. I'm still going for the focus but they're just a bit more of the same dynaudio sound salesman said so if you like the Excite ...

So if you're thinking of new speakers, try them, they won't dissapoint you i think.

I'm not sure yet what to do with the matrix's, sell or stack em in the addic. Maybe one point in time they will become collector's item's ;-) with those new overexpensive Diamond series 800's

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Take the room out of the equation. Use headphones until you move. Its not long until June and then you may get a flat with better acoustics and everything will sound good again.

+1 exactly what I was thinking and much better than wasting time messing about with your room.

A

Anonymous

or maybe a bit of cloth or T.P. between the tweeter and grill , thanks Ear for the advice

DIM-SPAN, I am not a fan of headphone sound, i prefer sound stage and clarity of loudspeakers. i understand it will solve the problem of ear fatigue but still will not prefer it.also its not sure that i will move out in june or not.i may till end of 2010 in this apartment.

.i was not using speaker grills till now .i put them on today as well as i put a pair of socks in midrange refex port which are at rear .

sound mellowed down a lot but i have lost soundstage as well, so dont know what to do now? sound now seems to come from speakers while before vocals used to come from centre and instruments from speakers.

i have also connected gale xl315 for HF and ixos 6006 for LF.

i have yet to cover the windows completely in quilts,any body willing to donate some quilts ;)

frankgvt, thanks for a detailed reply.richersounds and superfi doesnot stock dynaudio, will try sevenoaks.

any body heard dali ? how is there sound lot warmer then B&W?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts