Bridging, NAS, Sonos, Amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - my middle-ageness is struggling with all this new setup, but changing my lounge so updating. I want to keep my existing Amp, already have wireless router. But purchasing sonos zp90, speakers and NAS.

Sonos ZP90

Dlink wireless router

NAS Western Digital 1TB

Cambridge Audio Azur 540A integrated Amp

Q Acoustics 2010

I'm not sure what I have to connect to what? Will I need a Sonos Bridging unit as I will not be able to plug the Wireless router into the ZP90 - though I could connect the NAS to wireless router instead. Would that override the need for the Sonos Bridge (my router is on the opposite wall to where I want ZP90).

Also, are there any special cables I should use or just the existing ones from the Amp and those that come with the new kit?

Also, if I copy my existing I-tunes music from my laptop onto the NAS, will it play it, or do I have to trasnform it into a different format (whcih I never knew existed but understand this has a big effect).

When is anyone going to write a hifi guide for dummies!

I would really appreciate any help on this as most confusing for me.

thanks

roger_harrison: I'm not sure what I have to connect to what? Will I need a Sonos Bridging unit as I will not be able to plug the Wireless router into the ZP90 - though I could connect the NAS to wireless router instead. Would that override the need for the Sonos Bridge (my router is on the opposite wall to where I want ZP90).

One of the Sonos products has to connected to the router via ethernet cable. Only then can the Sonos network be set up. The NAS also connects to the router but you will need the Sonos Bridge. There are other ways, like homeplug, but Sonos Bridge is most reliable.

Also, are there any special cables I should use or just the existing ones from the Amp and those that come with the new kit?

Everything should come with the Sonos.

Also, if I copy my existing I-tunes music from my laptop onto the NAS, will it play it, or do I have to trasnform it into a different format (whcih I never knew existed but understand this has a big effect).

Just copy it into your NAS drive. The Sonos will play it. Do you have any DRM protected songs?

Don't worry. Sonos is very easy to set up. You won't need any guide for dummies. Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

great help and reassurance, thanks. So I will order the ZoneBridge. Why do I connect the NAS to the router as well? I thought it would be wireless? If I have to connect the NAS to the router aswell then I'm seriously going to have to consider the design and positioning again of things in my room - unless there is a way of getting long cables and hiding them under the carpet though it's a concrete flooR!

I don't know what DRM protected songs means?

thanks again.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if it's possible to get wireless NAS drives but if it is then I imagine they'll be very expensive and somewhat compromised as the speed with which they can communicate with the rest of your network will be reduced. It's normal for a NAS to be connected to your router via ethernet cable.

If you haven't already bought the wireless router then Apple do the Time Capsule (in 1tb and 2tb versions) which is to all intents and purposes a wireless router and NAS drive built in to one. That's what I use with my Sonos system and it does the job perfectly. It is however a little on the pricey side.

DRM - If you bought downloaded tracks form the iTunes store, say, over 2 years ago they are most likely DRM-protected (a kind of copy protection) and they won't play on the Sonos. They phased it out a while back.

Edit - sorry just re-read OP and see you do already have the wireless router.

roger_harrison: Why do I connect the NAS to the router as well? I thought it would be wireless?

No, not all of them. By definition, it's a Network Attached Storage", so you've got to attach it to a network. There are a few wireless options, but they won't be as reliable.

If I have to connect the NAS to the router aswell then I'm seriously going to have to consider the design and positioning again of things in my room - unless there is a way of getting long cables and hiding them under the carpet though it's a concrete floor!

You won't have to run ethernet cables around your house. Just use these to use your existing electrical network in your house. Attach one to the plug point nearest to the router & the other nearest to the NAS drive. You just need 2 small ethernet cables enough to run from the homeplug to the router / NAS drive.

I don't know what DRM protected songs means?

iTunes used to sell songs with DRM protection until 2009. Check this article. NAS drives have problems playing these songs.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:
You won't have to run ethernet cables around your house. Just use these to use your existing electrical network in your house. Attach one to the plug point nearest to the router & the other nearest to the NAS drive. You just need 2 small ethernet cables enough to run from the homeplug to the router / NAS drive.

bigboss - are there any drawbacks to these , or of using your mains cabling to send network traffic in general? Do you have experience of how well this works in providing the 'hardwired' connection between router and 1st Sonos component? I have a friend who is thinking of dipping a toe in streaming his audio but wants to avoid relying on wireless. Cheers.

Dan Turner:bigboss:

bigboss - are there any drawbacks to these , or of using your mains cabling to send network traffic in general? Do you have experience of how well this works in providing the 'hardwired' connection between router and 1st Sonos component? I have a friend who is thinking of dipping a toe in streaming his audio but wants to avoid relying on wireless. Cheers.

I guess the only drawback would be, if the two points are supplied by 2 different phases. It may not work is such circumstances. Otherwise, they work very well. Amazon has an excellent returns policy. Just return it if you're not happy.

The second option is using this. This is a wireless ethernet bridge that you can place anywhere in the house & this is wirelessly connected to your router. Attach the Sonos to it.

Wireless is generally reliable. If there's any interference or dropped connections, just change the channel.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner:Do you have experience of how well this works in providing the 'hardwired' connection between router and 1st Sonos component?

brendonw does this to good effect.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes I do.

Devolo home plugs - one in the office next to the router, in turn connected via a network switch to a NAS.

Other one in the living room attached to my ZP90, in turn connected to my stereo amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts