BOSE SPEAKERS ?

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone

WHAT ABOUT BOSE SPEAKERS

A Few Questions

1) I was just wondering why Bose Speakers are never discussed here in this forum or elsewhre in What Hi-Fi?

Any special reason? Are they so bad?

2) Has anyone here ever used Bose 301 and Bose 901 Speakers? Users kindly share your opinion.

Thanks.

Steven Kay

Paul.

The general concensus seems to be that they are not bad, just poor value. Also, sub sat systems are great for surround, but not so hot for music. If you want a system to be invisible, Bose stuff is great, but for the same money you can buy a much better sounding but much larger system.

The argument with the 901 is to produce more reflected sound than directional sound, making the sound sound more 'live' at the cost of detail. I heard a pair in a rented property in Florida I stayed in for two weeks, I was quite impressed.

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Paul Hobbs

BOSE

Thanks. In other words over priced......and not worth the money spent.

Yeterday I got a chance to listen to some music on an antique looking Bose 501's paired with Marantz PM6003. To be honest they did not sound too bad.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I also had some bose speakers in my days to, acoustimass 5 actually, they were fine to be honest, but when I compared them to my current but old B&W DM603s2 speakers, it was no contest really, detail, power, precision, soundstage, etc...... B&W won hands down just on every level.

Paul.

StevenKay said:
Paul Hobbs

BOSE

Thanks. In other words over priced......and not worth the money spent.

Thats not entirely fair... You have to remember Bose is a lifestyle product, and if you frequent a hifi forum you probably are not their target market. Bose make fantastic products for people who want music in their life, but don't want the equipment to be a feature of the room. Bose stuff is designed to hide. They are great at getting large noise out of tiny boxes, but due to the compromise of these tiny boxes it is unreasonable to expect them to perform as well as as a big system.

A

Anonymous

Paul's comment on Bose Acoustimass sums up the product. I've had the 6's for more than 10 years (make that tears), they are fab for movies, the bass box is wonderful and they are most discrete in a setup. That said, those cubes are hopeless for 2 channel listening and even for SACD, even the latter sounds a world apart on 2 channels though M/A Gs20s on a Marantz system from the 70's, recently serviced and parts replaced for better, I'm overwhelmed by the stunning sound! I only use the cubes for movies and have kept the set due to limited space.

A friend was blessed with the 901's left behind in a deceased estate around 15 years ago, they sounded great at the time. If you're interested in Bose I advise nothing less than the 901's My thoughts are that in such tight financial times one's hard earned cash would be better spent on bigger boxes, providing fuller sound than the Bose Acoustimass.

That's my take on the cubes, good luck with your choice, Peter.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
People are very fast to give a blanket response that Bose automatically equals rubbish but this isn’t entirely fair. Bose have made some good larger speakers in the past. That said most of their domestic products of recent years are vastly overpriced and often made of inferior materials. So I think in general they are tat for the price and for the most part I can’t abide their products but they aren’t without their redeeming products over the years, they are just few and far between and I’m not sure if they have any recent ones.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Is it imagination, or is it a semi-regular event on this forum that someone comes along and necroposts, revising multiple Bose threads from years ago...

Prolly just me.

A

Anonymous

They have a different way to approach the music market. As mentioned before, it is certain lifestyle they are aiming for.
Same goes for B&O for example. It is not for the real audio lover, but there is a market for it. The 901 is still a good performer though!

A

Anonymous

In my area, Bose speakers are not taken seriously as an audiophile product. Their Wave Radio / Music System is an example of making a product from the cheapest possible components and selling it at as high a price as the market will bear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts