Bookshelf speakers to compliment an Arcam Solo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought an Arcam solo (Music) only and I am currently running it through Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. I am finding that I need to drive the amp quite hard to get any discernable sound out. Anyone got any recommendations on alternative speakers such as B&W 685s or Epos M12is?

A

Anonymous

there site says they have a sensativity of just 86db. That means with 1watt of power, they make 86db of noise, 1meter away. Thats a quietspeaker, not a loudspeaker. Most speakers make more noise than that

Fetch your arm bands, its about to get deep. A doubling of amp power is a 3db gain. Or, from another angle, if a speaker were to be swaped for one 3db less sensative then twice the amp power would be needed for the same volume. Getting deeper, we find 1 watt is making you 86db, so, 2 watt being double would be 89db. for 92db we would need 4 watts. for 95, 8. Then for 98, 16. 101, 32. 104, 64. Now 64watts is quite a lot. These speakers are never really going to get far past 104db. Thats on a track that will allow such power levels too.

Speakers come between 86 and 92db as a rule. Over 89db is unusual for hifi, but 89 is like doubling your amp.

check the sensativity of the speakers your interested in to narrow the choice.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
RhysMainwaring:
I have recently bought an Arcam solo (Music) only and I am currently running it through Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. I am finding that I need to drive the amp quite hard to get any discernable sound out. Anyone got any recommendations on alternative speakers such as B&W 685s or Epos M12is?

Interesting. I've heard even a little Solo Mini make fairly loud noises with B&W CM1's which are very insensitive. Loud enough for most people though they obviously have serious limitations as regards to transients, dynamics and ultimate loudness and its never going to sound 'real'. Both speakers you mention benefit from a more powerful (actually more capable would be more accurate) amplifier than that in your solo but then its probably fair to say it was never designed for taxing loads or pa volumes. Try Rega R3's, they are sensitive and easy to partner.

TRENDING THREADS