Bookshelf Speakers for Classical Music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
lovetchaikovsky said:
I should say that I've read all the posts so far in this thread and would be willing to increase the budget to buy ATC SCM 11 if people think they are worth it!

Thank you!
. Are you looking for stand mount speakers, or can you accommodate floor standing ones? And is it literally just CD player, amp and speakers you need? Roughly what sized room?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I only listen to classical music, although not Tchaikovsky. I have Neat Petit SX and can thoroughly recomend them for their revealing nature and ability to demonstrate the complexity and nuonce in music. I have Marantz Pearl lite as source, I don't think amplification is particularly significant in a small room, asuming basic capabilities.

lovetchaikovsky

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello there

Thank you for your reply

The room is pretty large with a double-heighted ceiling - reasonable breathing space. I would prefer floor standing speakers but my priority is to get the best system I can, one that I'll love for years

I really need everything - all I have right now are the cds.

Thanks for your advice

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are building a quality system.

Harberth baby monitors - I don't know were you can by a pair or how much they cost.

But as small speakers go you'll not find a small a speaker with as good a sound as these.

lovetchaikovsky

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately Harberth (SHL5) are around £4k alone so above my budget

So far, I have this short list

1. Speakers:

ATC SCM11

KEFLS50

B&W 685 S2 (unfort the PM1 + stand are just too expensive for me)

I also want to try the Neat Petit that were recommended here

2. For amp, the Cambridge CXA60 (assuming this works equally well with the above speakers?)

3. For CD player, I had been recommended the Arcam CDS27 but I'm wondering if the (much cheaper and really positively reviewed) Marantz CD005 is worth considering or it is too basic? Or is it worth pushing the budget for the Cyrus CD i ?

Advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Why is it assumed that all classical music lovers are multi millionairs? I'm an old age pensioner with not much money. I don't want players that are just gadgets with umpteen things I wouldn't know what to do with. I have good speakers for my computer and that sound is all I need but I obviously can't carry my computer and speakers around with me. Does anybody know of a simple classical music player or a good player and classical speakers that could be bought seperately? I still have a good radio, cassette, CD player but it is quite old and these type of players are getting harder and harder to find as new technology comes up with what the majority want, gadgets that are so small that old hands can hardly hold them and umpteen tiny buttons or thumb screens that don't even do anything you want them to. Or they are huge very expensive and again you are stuck in one room or you have to have speakers in others rooms at even more cost.

The world has gone mad. It has thrown the baby out with the bath water. So, anybody out there who knows of a simple, less than $200 or around that, portable classical music player which in the way of new tech. at most has the feature that I can connect it to my computer. I can manage something the size of the old Walkman Cassette Player but not if it takes me 10 minutes to find the on switch, the play switch etc. In other words, just the bassics.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts