Question Bluetooth turntable

BlackCrowe

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Merry Christmas all, looking for recs on best bluetooth turntable upto £500 (could go a little higher if absolutely needed). Amp is Cyrus One, speakers are LS50s (wired). Many thanks you lovely lot in advance

Can you explain why a Bluetooth turntable? I believe most Cyrus ONE models have a phono stage, meaning a turntable can plug straight in. And if you do use a BT connection you will downgrade the results, rather wasting £500. At £179 for a modest turntable, maybe.

I would choose between and Cambridge Alva ST at £500 and a Pro-ject T1 BT at £429, both available from Richer Sounds. That’s if you must have BT!

Reactions: Al ears

BlackCrowe

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Can you explain why a Bluetooth turntable? I believe most Cyrus ONE models have a phono stage, meaning a turntable can plug straight in. And if you do use a BT connection you will downgrade the results, rather wasting £500. At £179 for a modest turntable, maybe.

I would choose between and Cambridge Alva ST at £500 and a Pro-ject T1 BT at £429, both available from Richer Sounds. That’s if you must have BT!
Thank you nopiano. Don't want bluetooth but logistically need to stash turntable away when not using it and connecting it with cables is a hassle.

monad

Dec 26, 2023
Visit site
running blueteeth for audio source, is like saying, I want to spend too much money but I also want it to sound awful. .. or i only date gals that hate me.

regardless of $ spent on TT, cart, cables, the rest of your system, bluetooth output will sound like it's a speaker mounted to a kitch 70s Scooby Doo lunchbox, using the thermos top as a bass bin..

folk struggle with driving the nth degree out of their systems w fancy metals and cryofreezing bits but then absolutely ruin it all by using wireless/ bluetooth source.. the level of compression in BT/ wifi is LOSSY.. and will RUIN everything, forever and ever.

if you want a BT TT, just get one, then drop it on your foot, while holding it over your head.. the pain you experience and then the cost incurred having to buy a normal TT will all be worth it.. because you got that awful idea out of your system. :D

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’d have a look at jbl’s new offering.
Though I agree with this
What twinkletoes said.

You can have a perfectly lovely, tactile experience playing vinyl via Bluetooth. But as others have said, to benefit from the sound quality of vinyl you’ll be far better off using cables.

Even if you’re plugging it in every time it won’t take any longer than connecting to Bluetooth.

record_spot

Jeezo...I'll bypass the snobbery in this thread and recommend the Alva ST. Bought mine a few months ago and rate it.

Bluetooth can be bypassed, much like the comments in this thread, but having used it for low level listening one night with my IEMs, I was pleasantly surprised how decent it was.

The onboard phono stage, based on Cambridge Audio's own Duo, is also very good. I use an external one though, the Musical Fidelity X-LP as that soap gives me a Moving Coil option too. In terms of cartridge, the Alva comes with the okay AT95E pre-fitted, though I've since upgraded to an AT-540ML.

The Alva ST is currently on offer at £399 as part of Cambridge' Boxing Day sale. Highly recommended.

nads

Jeezo...I'll bypass the snobbery in this thread and recommend the Alva ST. Bought mine a few months ago and rate it.

Bluetooth can be bypassed, much like the comments in this thread, but having used it for low level listening one night with my IEMs, I was pleasantly surprised how decent it was.

The onboard phono stage, based on Cambridge Audio's own Duo, is also very good. I use an external one though, the Musical Fidelity X-LP as that soap gives me a Moving Coil option too. In terms of cartridge, the Alva comes with the okay AT95E pre-fitted, though I've since upgraded to an AT-540ML.

The Alva ST is currently on offer at £399 as part of Cambridge' Boxing Day sale. Highly recommended.
And reading that it sounds like you are not using the BT at all?

so are you rating it as a BT turntable or as a turntable using an external phono stage?

Can you imagine having to set it up and re-level the thing every time you move it?
It's not the Bluetooth side of things so much as always needing to move it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

record_spot

And reading that it sounds like you are not using the BT at all?

so are you rating it as a BT turntable or as a turntable using an external phono stage?

You have the flexibility to use it as you see fit. I've used it a couple of times for late night listening via in-ears, and the sound quality is significantly better than I'd have given Bluetooth turntables credit for. They've moved on in ten years. Mindsets maybe not so much.

record_spot

Can you imagine having to set it up and re-level the thing every time you move it?
It's not the Bluetooth side of things so much as always needing to move it.

If that's what the OP needs to do, that's their prerogative though, right? And re-level it? What are you thinking it's going on? Rice pudding?!

Let's not overthink this guys. It comes out of storage, it goes on the shelf in the place it'll reside when in use.

Thanks for that. Only been using the medium since the turn of the 1970s so what do I know...and the rack I've used since 1997 is, remarkably, still level.

I'll credit the OP with a modicum of common sense in the matter.
Granted. As long as he is well aware of said issues.
I acknowledge that you are well aware of the fact and probably unlikely to move your turntable at any point once initially set up correctly.
Common sense is not something we can all take for granted otherwise the number of posts on this particular subforum would reduce dramatically.
The OPs idea of stashing it away then whipping it out to use ad hoc simply doesn't mean sensible to me.
However,that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr and monad

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts