Bluetooth to ToSlink connector?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know of a cheap bluetooth audio receiver with a digital audio output? Although I'm not an Apple person (I've never even had an iPod or a Mac), yesterday my employer kindly gave me an iPhone GS. And yes, I am impressed so far. I'd like to play music from it through my hi-fi. Regular docks rely on the DAC inside the phone, are subject to interference from phone activity, and would mean I'd have to leave the phone on the far side of the room to my sitting position, to boot. The Wadia dock could extract the digital, but is £xpen$ive. And a Chordette Gem is definitely over budget too. Maybe when the recession is over ;-) The Onkyo ND-S1 is a more reasonable £150, but two things inhibit me from buying it: 1. It's not certified as "Made for iPhone" (only iPod) and apparently you must keep the iPhone in flight mode to avoid interference when playing music, meaning I'll miss incoming calls. 2. It's still a dock that needs to be on the other side of the room, it's still £150, and I have a perfectly satisfactory DACMagic already. Perhaps that's four things! This leads me to ask, does anybody know of a cheap bluetooth receiver with an optical ToSlink or digital coax output, so I could play from my iPhone over bluetooth and pass the digital signal through to my DACMagic?

A

Anonymous

Just a thought but would an Airport Express over WIFI give you what you need?

A

Anonymous

Not sure, I don't think so.

The specs sheet on the Apple site says

"3.5-mm audio minijack for analog or optical digital sound"

which is not something I understand. Surely a 3.5mm audio minijack is a standard, analogue, headphone connector, and there's no way of getting "optical digital sound" from it?

Am I missing something?

As I said, I'm not an Apple person ("I'm a PC"??) and I've never seen one in the flesh.

A

Anonymous

Oh I didn't know that was possible. Thanks.

Will think about it. Judging by how often my wi-fi drops out briefly though, I'm not sure I want even more (radio) noise in that (spectrum) space.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
MalcolmH:Oh I didn't know that was possible. Thanks.

It's like a standard 3.5mm socket with the bottom cut out, through which shines the infrared light when a suitable MiniTOSLink plug like this

qn20.jpg

is inserted.

A

Anonymous

Very interesting about the connector - how ingenious!

All the same, given the unreliability of Wi-Fi in my area, I'd still be interested in a Bluetooth adapter (the original question).

Should I take forum silence to mean nobody's ever heard of one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts