Blu-Ray Reassurance Required!!

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I am after some reassurance around picture quality from the new blu-ray player I have just bought! I know this topic has probably been raised before but I am having a mild panic!

I am currently playing DVD's through my Denon 1920 player into my Toshiba 32WLT66s (upscaled to 1080i) and i am very happy with the picture (both products received very good reviews)

I have now bought the Sony 350 blu-ray player to replace my Denon and I am panicking that I wont see a difference because 1) its not a 1080p tele and 2) I don't think it will handle 24fps. I don't want to upgrade my TV just yet as I only bought it a couple of years ago and it got all the rave reviews.

HELP!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

ok first of all breath deeply and relax.

All you need to do is rent a blu-ray movie you already own on dvd and compare the two, you should be able to see the difference. my tv is not full 1080p either but bluray is deffinatly better

happy blu-raying

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Breathing into a paper bag as we speak!!

Thanks for your reply...

Can I ask - have you got your output set to 720p or 1080i? (I know its that old debate but I am interested in peoples experiences)

A

Anonymous

i have the panasonic dmp-bd35 blu-ray player and i just set it to automatic, (my tv is not 1080p but does except a 1080p signal.) I will try 720p and 1080i today and let you know.

On my xbox 360 connected via component i cant tell the difference between the two.

In my experience (having owned a blu-ray player for about two weeks) the picture quality depends on the quality of the dvd you are watching. A decent dvd upscaled on a decent player will look good but not quite as good as a blu-ray (unless of course you are lucky enough to have a full 1080p tv).

A

Anonymous

I have the Panasonic DMP-BD30, the forerunner of the 35. My set is not 24 fps and not full HD. It is a 32" set and the BD picture is superb from the Panasonic, and more importantly the sound through the HD compliant AV Amp is fab! If I had a grumble it would be that the non 24fps set might dispaly some motion juddering, my other grumble would be that at the time that TV manufactures were stating HD ready they did not say it need to be BD ready, i.e 24fps compliant something that has only become obvious more recently. This was also not picked up early enough by the industry press. If I had known then that it must be 24 fps to avoid the judder I would have waited, Funny that no one mentioned it! But having said that it is likely you may well be able to dial some of the judder out through the backroom settings on the TV to minimise it. it is only noticeable on slow pan shots.

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Thank you both for your calming words!

The HD audio will come next year at some point but the picture is what I was really concerned about!

Cheers!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drw03:
Thank you both for your calming words!

The HD audio will come next year at some point but the picture is what I was really concerned about!

Cheers!

It will also upscale dvds better than your Denon. Bluray is clearly better.

A

Anonymous

Hi all

Sorry to jump on your thread but I would like to mntion the following:

Just purchased a Sony BDP-350 to play DVD and Blu Ray's through a new Panasonic TX37 LZD 80 1080P LCD.

Watched Hancock on BR and it looked like it was stuttering in places??????? Watched Batman Begins which played fine!

Also watched DVD upscaled they are fine! The picture quality on all is fantastic! No HD sound yet on this setup.

Anybody know why the Hancock would stutter??

1080P 24fp does look awsume>

A

Anonymous

What would happeen if you connected a blu ray player to a crt tv?? I mean my Sony 350 has the red white and yellow cables with it to connect to a CRT tv...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:What would happeen if you connected a blu ray player to a crt tv?? I mean my Sony 350 has the red white and yellow cables with it to connect to a CRT tv...

The red white and yellow cables are the weakest way to connect to your tv. If your CRT doesn't have component, the next best way is scart (S Video if the BD player doesn't have scart).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:What would happeen if you connected a blu ray player to a crt tv?? I mean my Sony 350 has the red white and yellow cables with it to connect to a CRT tv...
If you mean what would happen since Blu-Ray is hi-def and most CRTs are standard def, the Blu-Ray player would simply downscale the picture to fit the TV's resolution.

A

Anonymous

Just thought id ask cos the we have a CRT tv in the living room at the moment as the Bluray player is attached to the 40W4500 whihc is in the games room! Aslong as it works hey!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts