blu-ray players .. how do they improve them ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:no rik , just manually adjusted by me , but it wouldnt make a difference , the tvs settings were the same for all the players..

Id have to disagree to a degree. Its possible it might not make any difference. But a lot of tvs would mask detail if the wrong settings are selected

A

Anonymous

hmmm , maybe , but i didnt really notice a difference on my own tv between the ps3 and 360 , apart from upscaling , which the 360 does better imo , and my tv is set up just right , well , for me anyway ..

when i get my panny 50vt20 and panny 3d player , ill check with the 360 also , maybe then ill see a difference ...

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:when i get my panny 50vt20 and panny 3d player , ill check with the 360 also , maybe then ill see a difference ...
Thought you'd written off 3D as a gimmick?
well , i believe 3d has been thrust upon us to boost the tv makers coffers , i cant say im very exited about it myself , but i want the best plasma tv available , ok , the v20 is apparently as good as the vt20 , minus the 3d , and of course it costs less , but id still be spending roughly e1800 on a 50v20 , so for an extra e450 (just seen it for e2250 in ireland) i may as well get future proofed , 3d does look great too ..

A

Anonymous

This thread has kinda gone off on one but if we're discussing 3D now, I also think that this is a bit of 'the latest thing' that won't really take off on the domestic front until it is available without the glasses and that will indeed make it more appealing to the masses. For the moment it is probably for those who want the latest thing and have the money...great if you are in that position but probably a niche market and if it wasn't for the world cup (which is a major TV selling opportunity) I doubt Samsung or Panasonic would be selling any 3D tv's....imo by the way !

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Just read this and can see Max's point. Assuming the HDMI feed is a sequential digital signal it's just a square waveform. Once a player comes along that can reliably get all the information off the disk and transmit it as a square wave, with the correct timing, then there would really be no further improvement to be made.

Of course, this is not as simple as it sounds, as it's happening in real time, and no waveform is ever really fully square. I guess any stretching or changing of the waveform shape could have an effect on the display showing it, also priocessing in real-time.

However, it shouldn't really be that much of a stretch to get to something that is as close to the ideal as makes no preceptable difference, at which point there would be very little gain to be had.

It makes me think even more that hard-disk based devices are the way forward. Takes away the laser, giving more reliable reads, and repeated re-reads in real-time are probably also possible if there are any issues.

TRENDING THREADS