Blu Ray Player multichannel outouts & Component vs HDMI.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So it's finally come time to throw out the dvd players. they are far too temperamental to live with (and i can only handle 1, not 3 temperamental things).

I can't see the point in spending half the price of a blu ray player on a dvd player when i will eventually want to upgrade (although i've still not seen a shop display to convince me its the best)

Given my projector only goes up to 1080i, am i better off using the multichannel outs on the sony bdp-s550 (the cheapest i've seen that decodes everything) and sticking with Component cable for the picture, or HDMI from both player to receiver and receiver to projector? I think the whf review said i can bitstream the decoded audio and therefore my onkyo 505 should be able to accept it?

Since i'll most likely be buying from richer sounds or amazon i can't really try before i buy with out shelling out on hdmi cables too.

Many thanks,
Edward

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The Onkyo 505 can't accept audio via its HDMI socket I'm afraid, so your best bet is indeed to use the multichannel outputs on the Sony S550 to the Onkyo. Personally, I would definitely go HDMI from the Sony to the projector as it will provide a better picture. How far is it? As I remember, the QED HDMI-P cable wasn't too outrageous a price at long lengths (just had a look, 8m cable available for £80 at hificables.co.uk - you may find it even cheaper elsewhere but I can recommend this store). I don't think a decent component cable will be much cheaper (or do you have one already?).
I think when it comes to projector size screens, you will really notice the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray, but saying that, I think it's a marked improvement on my 42" plasma! The sound is a massive improvement though and probably what you'll notice most.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:The Onkyo 505 can't accept audio via its HDMI socket I'm afraid, so your best bet is indeed to use the multichannel outputs on the Sony S550 to the Onkyo. Personally, I would definitely go HDMI from the Sony to the projector as it will provide a better picture. How far is it? As I remember, the QED HDMI-P cable wasn't too outrageous a price at long lengths (just had a look, 8m cable available for £80 at hificables.co.uk - you may find it even cheaper elsewhere but I can recommend this store). I don't think a decent component cable will be much cheaper (or do you have one already?).
I think when it comes to projector size screens, you will really notice the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray, but saying that, I think it's a marked improvement on my 42" plasma! The sound is a massive improvement though and probably what you'll notice most.

I agree word for word..

A

Anonymous

So i just ignore the av receiver for the picture? Would that not lead to issues with lip sync?

also i have a cheap (£35ish for 10m from maplin) component cable which seems to be fine for my budget dvd player. I guess that will need to be changed, but not for a ridiculously expensive cable, seemed to have a consensus on here a while back that cheap is just as good. That QED looks to be a good price though.

thanks for the advice.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:So i just ignore the av receiver for the picture? Would that not lead to issues with lip sync?

also i have a cheap (£35ish for 10m from maplin) component cable which seems to be fine for my budget dvd player. I guess that will need to be changed, but not for a ridiculously expensive cable, seemed to have a consensus on here a while back that cheap is just as good. That QED looks to be a good price though.

thanks for the advice.

The only way you get perfect lip sync is if all your components are hdmi 1.3 compatible and you use 1.3 cables.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Also, I'm pretty sure the Sony Blu-Ray player has a lip sync delay feature built into it as one of the features. Can't check now but can check tomorrow evening if that's any good to you?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Also, I'm pretty sure the Sony Blu-Ray player has a lip sync delay feature built into it as one of the features. Can't check now but can check tomorrow evening if that's any good to you?

It has but like with all the lip sync delay settings (Sky, disc spinners etc), it's only so good. The one thing I love about finally having everything hdmi 1.3 is that the lip sync is automatic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts