BK MONOLITH for music?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I think the general school of thought is the bigger the driver, the slower the response. So whilst the Monolith is great with movies I think a smaller sealed sub would be better to keep pace with music, albeit that it won't go as deep. I'm using a BK XLS300/PR to good effect with stereo music. I haven't noticed and problems with pace using it with my Proacs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not only that, but I also find sealed subs to be generally more musical. Sealed cabinets tend to have a more even in-room response and have less issues with positioning/setup,

A

Anonymous

cheers for the quick response, see the thing is i can get a secondhand monolith for £15 more than a xls 200 and i will not have to wait the dreaded BK order delivery time, does anyone have both or has anyone heard both?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Price will be pretty much irrelevant compared to which one will serve your purposes better. Too many people buy based on price, which is understandable to an extent, but sometimes people make the wrong choices because they can get something else on a better deal......

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I agree with David, if music is the priority, then it won't be a good buy,if it's going to be used 50/50 for music and movies then maybe it's worth considering. For £400 (incl. delivery) you get the XLS300/PR which goes deeper than the 200, but has agility that the Monolith won't manage, even if the 300 can't manage the depths of the monolith.

What front speakers would you be using it with? An AV amp to set the crossover (lo level) or a stereo amp using the hi level connection? Do you need a huge beast like the Monolith, how big is your room?

A

Anonymous

it will be used with a pioneer A-300R precision using high level input, i was originally going to get some monitor audio br8's ex display to replace my ancient hand me down home made speakers but realized that the 35wpc output of the pioneer would not make the most of them or drive them to a decent volume, so the plan is to get some semi decent bookshelf speakers and stands and a sub around the £300 mark as i want a clean crisp sound with a rich low end (ie 30Hz at -3db is the least i would settle for)

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
As good a bargain as the Monolith sounds, I don't think it's what you need. I'd go for the 200 if you don't think you'll ever go multi channel, or the 300 if you want to use it with movies as well at some point in the future. The Pioneer amp is fast and articulate as I'm sure the standmounters you get will be, you don't want a Monolith labouring behind them.

The bass I'm getting from the 300 is very clean, it's had the affect of opening the sound up from my Proac's.

As you only want stereo use, perhaps you might consider trying to get hold of a pair of MA RS6's or RS8's (depending on how much you were going to spend in total) if you can before they go. They'd probably be a better buy than sub and standmounters of an equivalent value. The only thing would be careful choice of a non-silver speaker wire with Pioneer and MA RS to avoid an over clinical sound.

Sliced Bread

FrankHarveyHiFi:Price will be pretty much irrelevant compared to which one will serve your purposes better. Too many people buy based on price, which is understandable to an extent, but sometimes people make the wrong choices because they can get something else on a better deal......
...yep and end up buying twice!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Exactly.

Damn!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts