Biggish room - Traditional or style speakers??

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
I'm a few months off completing a house renovation and being ready to buy my home cinema kit but keep reading the magazine and reading the forum for the latest. I've changed my mind a dozen times already and probably will again before I decide on the final spec but at the moment I'm thinking of:

Samsung LE46M86DDX LCD TV, PS3, Onkyo TXSR605 (Or the 606).

Regarding speakers I can budget £600 - £1000. The viewing room is 7.5m X 5m and I could probably talk the wife into having traditional or style speakers. I've considered the Wharfedale Diamond 9hcp & Q acoustics 1010i but at the moment I'm torn between Tannoy Mercury F1 custom (traditional) or KEF KHT3005SE (Style)

IThe KEF's seem to be having rave reviews and are "top performers". However given the choice how do they perform against traditional speakers such as the tannoys???

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Style speakers can't compete with decent standard traditional speakers. I would say the very best style speakers (£1500-£2000 sort of range) would be beaten by a traditional style set at half the price. In short, if you can get away with floorstanders, especially with the size of your room, go for it!

A

Anonymous

Hi deanchri

What did you go for in the end, the style speakers or the floorstanders?

I'm in the same boat as you were last April and I can't decide which type to go for. My room's a bit smaller than your room.

Does anybody else agree/disagree with Gerrardasnails? For me if it means same quality at half the price I'd probably go for the big ones.

Any advice appreciated.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't guarantee same quality at half the price - you'd need to listen and decide for yourself on that. However, without doubt, the best traditional setups will beat the best style setups in the same price range hands down - it's the reason WHF separate them out in their buying guide.

A

Anonymous

Agree, a traditional speaker package (if you have the room for it) will always sound nicer.
And an expensive traditional speaker package will blow you away!

A

Anonymous

I would go for something traditional if the room is decorated as such.

Spendor S8e, AVI Brio, Tannoy Westminster - etc.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
With that size room traditional speakers every time, i would look at the Tannoy Mercury F4 customs, at £750 or the AE aegis for £685. As for amp i would look at the Yamaha AX863se if you can get it, or something like the Onkyo 806, 876. For tv forget the Samsung, great tv when it first came out, but newer models will have a better spec. Trust me i have that model, and it can't compare to the Sony's or Panasonics's. Wait for the new arrival of Panny Plasmas in March, as they will be ultra slim for wall hanging. Ps3 is ok games machine and good blu-ray player if you are going to use it for both, don't get one if it's more for films, a dedicated player will offer much more in terms of pq and sound quality. I would look at the Pioneer 51, for £325.

TRENDING THREADS