Bigger manufacturers v smaller manufacturers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
radiorog said:
Larger companies can probably source components cheaper, but larger staffing numbers requires tens of millions in the bank to insure against things like mass redundancy, to name but one cost. So larger companies need to MAKE MONEY, smaller companies might just want to make HiFi.??

I don't see too many people running companies at a loss just as a hobby, no matter the size.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all & happy diwali (hindu festivel of light)

We all hear sound differently so the subject of this topic is not about SQ but more of under the hood stuff, build quality, etc.

who can afford to give us more in terms of value for money ,is it?

bigger guys like yamaha ,CA , marantz, rotel, arcam etc or smaller guys such as Creek, sugden, vincent, abrahamsen, etc.

Hello and happy Halloween (american festival of darkness)

It can't be responded like that. Because great structures and little ones, are brewing their gear with the same rules and components. The margins on hifi products are high and no builder will go around that. Both of them can give good or bad service depending on the name.

If you want to make the biggest amount of money out of your $, then DIY is a solution. But it needs skills and knowledges. The other way is to know some peoples on the local market that are making their gear themselves and that you can buy directly from. I have, for myself, some tube amps from an american guitar amp guru that are way cheaper than the normal street prices for less worse amps.

The best way if you want to make the best money out of your investment, is to invest in quality hifi that can be easily repaired and that last a long time. This is quickly said, but need a good overview of the market. Some newer hifi gear are filled with CMS boards and some chips components. I would clearly not go for that.

5_35247_2a03e9cc72473c0.jpg

e-470_aava.jpg

At the other way, some other gear are filled with simple designs and discrete components that can be replaced and repaired by a skilled TV repair service :

index.php

luxman1_38976.jpg

e-307%283%29.JPG

As you see, I recommand often some "older" stuff. Because the brand new models always have chips for doing all sorts of things. Chips are not evil and can widstand long time range for sure. But, after 15/20 years, you will completely depend on the stock of the builder or you will need to fell on a very skilled electronic repair service for seeing trhough the complex designs of those things. Discrete amps are much more logical to maintain and to repair.

And please note than the "used" market is filled with great products with reasonnable prices. For a lot of brands, I will not go for their newer stuff because their prices are simply disconnected from their true value. #B&Wgoescrazy

bowers-et-wilkins-804d3-enceintes-colonnes-la-paire-.jpg

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
It's a romantic notion that the plucky small manufacturers are all better than the huge manufacturer.

Bit ironic coming from someone who uses Jota 180 as his nom-de-plume.

Would you trade your Jota for a late 70s / early 80s Honda? I certainly wouldn't.

Same goes for hifi.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Animesh Ghose said:

We all hear sound differently so the subject of this topic is not about SQ but more of under the hood stuff, build quality, etc.

bigger guys like yamaha ,CA , marantz, rotel, arcam etc or smaller guys such as Creek, sugden, vincent, abrahamsen, etc.

It can't be responded like that. Because great structures and little ones, are brewing their gear with the same rules and components. The margins on hifi products are high and no builder will go around that. Both of them can give good or bad service depending on the name.

If you want to make the biggest amount of money out of your $, then DIY is a solution. But it needs skills and knowledges. The other way is to know some peoples on the local market that are making their gear themselves and that you can buy directly from. I have, for myself, some tube amps from an american guitar amp guru that are way cheaper than the normal street prices for less worse amps.

The best way if you want to make the best money out of your investment, is to invest in quality hifi that can be easily repaired and that last a long time. This is quickly said, but need a good overview of the market. Some newer hifi gear are filled with CMS boards and some chips components. I would clearly not go for that.

At the other way, some other gear are filled with simple designs and discrete components that can be replaced and repaired by a skilled TV repair service :

As you see, I recommand often some "older" stuff. Because the brand new models always have chips for doing all sorts of things. Chips are not evil and can widstand long time range for sure. But, after 15/20 years, you will completely depend on the stock of the builder or you will need to fell on a very skilled electronic repair service for seeing trhough the complex designs of those things. Discrete amps are much more logical to maintain and to repair.

And please note than the "used" market is filled with great products with reasonnable prices. For a lot of brands, I will not go for their newer stuff because their prices are simply disconnected from their true value. #B&Wgoescrazy

Google BMW ECU (engine control unit) ... just an example, you can pick any other brand you can think of plus probably cruise missile controls too.

These heavily chip and other sfm component populated boards have to be reliable in cold winter, hot summers, humidity and any other uncomfortable environments other than being directly exposed to water.

Things do occasionally go wrong with Hifi equipment (or car engine control units/cruise missiles) but if the manufacturer has done his/her work properly, it is unlikely. More likely things are skewed up by user mistakes, usually american base missile station operators ... though you may find it difficult to blame them for your Densen circuit board short. Still, worth a try.

However, I do give you that traditional methods of board population ie. mostly through-hole are easier and most likely cheaper to fix in the event something does go wrong.

Would I say no to a Devialet because of that? No but the thought of a lovely Audio Research tube Pre and Power does appeal I have to admit should I ever find that subcase full of ... .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Animesh Ghose said:

Google BMW ECU (engine control unit) ... just an example, you can pick any other brand you can think of plus probably cruise missile controls too.

These heavily chip and other sfm component populated boards have to be reliable in cold winter, hot summers, humidity and any other uncomfortable environments other than being directly exposed to water.

Things do occasionally go wrong with Hifi equipment (or car engine control units/cruise missiles) but if the manufacturer has done his/her work properly, it is unlikely. More likely things are skewed up by user mistakes, usually american base missile station operators ... though you may find it difficult to blame them for your Densen circuit board short. Still, worth a try.

However, I do give you that traditional methods of board population ie. mostly through-hole are easier and most likely cheaper to fix in the event something does go wrong.

Would I say no to a Devialet because of that? No but the thought of a lovely Audio Research tube Pre and Power does appeal I have to admit should I ever find that subcase full of ... .

A closet ARC fan. Respect......*man_in_love*

davedotco said:
drummerman said:
Animesh Ghose said:

A closet ARC fan. Respect......*man_in_love*

Ooh, it's going to cost you! :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Further to todays news about the destruction of that Isis poster boy Mohammed Emwazi, I take back my comments about American Base Missile Station Operators.

Blown to smithereens and no more (Emwazi) it is amazing what you can do with some circuit boards with sfm components and a bit of rocket fuel, in this case I believe a Hellfire missile fired remotely via drone.

Not too important probably in the greater scheme of things the operator in question should nevertheless get his Bullseye medal.

The only thing i feel sorry for is the american tax payer which had to cough up around $70,000 for the missile, drone fuel and associated cost with operating it plus surveilance etc.

A bullet would have been more appropriate.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Further to todays news about the destruction of that Isis poster boy Mohammed Emwazi, I take back my comments about American Base Missile Station Operators.

Blown to smithereens and no more (Emwazi) it is amazing what you can do with some circuit boards with sfm components and a bit of rocket fuel, in this case I believe a Hellfire missile fired remotely via drone.

Not too important probably in the greater scheme of things the operator in question should nevertheless get his Bullseye medal.

The only thing i feel sorry for is the american tax payer which had to cough up around $70,000 for the missile, drone fuel and associated cost with operating it plus surveilance etc.

still worth the money i bet it had a song playing on broad singing boom boom *yes3*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
drummerman said:

still worth the money i bet it had a song playing on broad singing boom boom *yes3*

My personal favorite would probably have been a slighly amended version of the Weather Girls 'Its raining man, hallelujah'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts