Big Dilemma.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm Kris. First post introductions and all.

So, I've had my system in its current guise for a few years now... and it's time to change it around a bit. I have an Arcam Alpha 7 CD player, Linn LK1 pre-amp, Linn Powertek power amp and KEF Q55 floorstanders. My plan is to change the speakers - I've grown a bit tired of the cloudiness of the sound from the Q55s - they just don't have the kind of control or smoothness I'm looking for. Ideally, I'd like a musical speaker that has no tendency towards the bright, but is detailed and insightful at the same time, with a taut and controlled low-end. I've also got a pair of AE Aesprit 300c bookshelves which, despite lacking some detail, offer a really nice complete sort of sound. It's not the most detailed or refined, but it somehow sounds right.

Right now, I'm thinking something along these sorts of lines: I'm very tempted to see what the whole EB Acoustics fuss is, so would be tempted to pick up a pair of EB1s. What does everyone reckon?

And then possibly a long term plan would be either EB2s if I enjoy the sound of the EB1s OR a pair of KEF Reference Model One Twos (I'd probably bi-amp these with an LK280 or LK85 driving the low end (along with my Powertek for the mid and hi - I love it!)) or something along those lines.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kris, and welcome to the forum.

Speakers that you might like to consider are :

Kef R Series

Spendor STs (SA1s sounded really well with my Linn Kairn / LK100)

Sonus Faber Cremona

Proac D Deries

Linn's own speakers (though sound better Active)

I also think you should try and get a listen to a Linn DS, which imo. would bring about a big improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts