Bi-amping Nad C370 with Nad C272 help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I just bought a Nad C272 for bi-amping, together with the Nad C370, my MA RS8's but I need some help to connect them together.

- Which port I need to use in the C370, the PRE OUT 1 or PRE OUT 2?

- Which port I need to use in the C272, FIXED IN or VARIABLE IN?

- Is it better connecting the C272 (which is a bit more powerful) to the LF and the C370 to the HF of the speakers or the other way around?

nads

it depends on which amp you need to adjust to get the gain correct. as you will see one one each amp is variable.

not sure what the differences are between the two amps but i would take the 2 out to the 1 in on the C272 and use that for the bass.

I would also (if you have not already done so) replace the metal links from the pre out to main in on the 370.

have fun.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nads but I'm still very confused :doh: the C370 is 120W and the C272 is 150W thus I might connect the C272 to the LF. But the question is still how to connect the two together.. Also, does the metal links from the pre out to main on the C370 needs to be removed when bi-amping so the integrated amp doesn't use it's internal pre-amp?

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Use pre out 1 on your integrated amp to connect to the fixed input on your c272. (they will be gain matched as they are both nad amps). Leave the links in on your c370. ( or you could use a set of interconnects if you want).

Then connect the c370 to your upper terminals on your ma rs8 and the c272 to the lower terminals.

Im not quite sure how your ma rs8 are configured but i think the upper terminals feed the tweeter and upper most bass/mid driver, and the lower terminals feed the two lower bass drivers.

anyhow you should get a good jump in performance. goodluck.

nads

jiggyjoe said:
Use pre out 1 on your integrated amp to connect to the fixed input on your c272. (they will be gain matched as they are both nad amps). Leave the links in on your c370. ( or you could use a set of interconnects if you want).

Then connect the c370 to your upper terminals on your ma rs8 and the c272 to the lower terminals.

Im not quite sure how your ma rs8 are configured but i think the upper terminals feed the tweeter and upper most bass/mid driver, and the lower terminals feed the two lower bass drivers.

anyhow you should get a good jump in performance. goodluck.
'preout 1 is the output the amp uses for its internal amp. use output 2 and set the dial to max.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I've connected the PRE OUT 2 (dial to max) from the C370 to the FIXED IN of the C272 but after only few minutes of listening in a moderate volume the C370 went in Soft Clipping mode, so I've switched to VARIABLE IN (dial to max) on the C272 (as suggested in another thread), but the C370 went in Soft Clipping again. Any idea of what can cause it?

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
This may sound silly but you have removed the metal links joining your terminals ( hf to lf ) together on your speakers right? Connecting the pre out 2 (c370) to the fixed in (c272) is correct.

The variable in with the dial adjustment is only needed if you have amplifiers with different input gain eg amp from a different manufacturer.

As both your amps are nad and gain matched you dont need to use this function.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jiggyjoe, yes I've removed the metal jumpers and run a set of cables from the C272 to the LF of each speaker and a set of cables from the C370 to the HF. I'll try again to connect the PRE OUT 2 of the C370 to the FIXED IN of the C272 and see if it happen again.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure you'll already have done this, but make sure both amps aren't set to 'bridge mode'- I know the C370 has a switch on the back. I personally would switch the soft clipping off too, but you may not want to until you get things working properly...

A

Anonymous

I've re-done all the connections and tied up the cables, avoiding touching each other and the only thing different I did, was setting the dial next to the "PRE OUT" instead at the maximum, in the meddle. Anyways, after few hours of listening it seems to work fine and the sound is great, big improvement, thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

I've re-done all the connections and tied up the cables, avoiding touching each other and the only thing different I did, was setting the dial next to the "PRE OUT" instead at the maximum, in the meddle. Anyways, after few hours of listening it seems to work fine and the sound is great, big improvement, thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts