Better sounding iPod?

manicm

Ok I'm without an iPod having given mine away and need a new one.

Since there's been a mini-riot regarding the new Classic's audio quality - which sounds better, the new Classic or new Nano? I will load Apple Lossless and connect to hifi.

All opinions, bitter or sweet, will be appreciated.

{Addendum: My head says new Classic cos it will still charge on Arcam's rDock if I go this route, by heart says new Nano cos many seem to think it sounds better - again bitter or sweet etc...

Don't attempt to change my mind on the rDock - I would have gone the GQ24 route but I'm not in the UK and can get the dock fairly quickly, and I don't want to go the PC route yet cos of space and relocation issues.}

idc

Hi manicm, is there no chance of trying out both? My experience from shops as varied as HMV, to Currys to John Lewis to Apple is that they are on display and you can listen to them. If that is not possible, from reviews and my own experience with the older models is that the nano is a bit more lively than the classic, but a much greater difference is achieved by fiddling with the EQ settings.

manicm

idc:Hi manicm, is there no chance of trying out both? My experience from shops as varied as HMV, to Currys to John Lewis to Apple is that they are on display and you can listen to them. If that is not possible, from reviews and my own experience with the older models is that the nano is a bit more lively than the classic, but a much greater difference is achieved by fiddling with the EQ settings.

Thanks, that's a good idea, it's gonna mean a bit of store hopping though.

manicm

basshound:If you are going to use lossless files then the nanos` capacity will be a bit limiting compared to the Classic

I'm aware of that, but can live with it as a stopgap measure. Or I might consider the touch.

manicm

I'm going for the Classic - it's decidely unglamorous and is a huge knock to my vanity but after some consideration:

1. By all accounts it still sounds great - as good as other iPods/iPhones.

2. It's the most flexible - will still charge in the rDock and others.

3. I've considered the Touch but apparently this has some issues with ALAC
emotion-3.gif

and last but not least:

4. My next phone can also be a (new) iPod
emotion-2.gif

idc

manicm: Since there's been a mini-riot regarding the new Classic's audio quality - which sounds better, the new Classic or new Nano? I will load Apple Lossless and connect to hifi.

Manicm, what is the mini riot you mention, have you got any links or further info?

Thanks

manicm

idc:

manicm: Since there's been a mini-riot regarding the new Classic's audio quality - which sounds better, the new Classic or new Nano? I will load Apple Lossless and connect to hifi.

Manicm, what is the mini riot you mention, have you got any links or further info?

Thanks

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029432,49298964,00.htm

Also, go to the iLounge review.

In all honesty there doesn't seem to be much in it.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Having owned the current generation nano, classic and touch (both the nano and classic became faulty) I'd say the touch sounds best followed by the nano then the classic.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm not good at explaining these things... and i have never really listened that critically to them. But, to me

ipod classic has the flatest and most lifeless sound... definitely needed EQ setting to get ok sound. not good through sennheiser headphones

ipod nano was a bit better, crisper bass and treble i'd say, still needed an EQ setting though

touch.. like the nano but warmer and more musical... listenable without using EQ, and the one i've personally enjoyed the most

Listening using Sennheiser HD497 headphones and CX300 earphones on them all. Now using Denon C351 earphones on the touch, and the combination is absolutely wonderful. Highly recommended.

As for lossless, i don't know sorry, I mainly used 256k AAC. I know the old HDD ipods used to have problems as the lossless file would be bigger than the playback buffer causing the track to skip.

Hope this helps. Any more questions and I'll try to answer as best I can!

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Touch is also the best I've heard through a dock although I've never really used the classic or nano through a dock. I have a 3rd gen ipod (20g) which sounded awful plugged in through a hifi. The touch sounds pretty good, definitely listenable.

idc

Che1, definitely think that the EQ is essential to get the best sound out of the Classic and I use jazz for everything. The nanao less so, but I still use jazz for eveything. The Sennheiser mx500s are a joy for both and my amp brings the classic to life with my Grados.

I think that because so much of the debate about getting the best sound out of an ipod revolves around the bit rate used, that the EQ setting gets ignored. The EQ setting has a far greater impact on the sound that any bit rate. But of course EQs and tone controls in general are a bit of a taboo subject
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

No one seems to have mentioned that the OP is planning to use this iPod with a doc, which will defeat any tone control or EQ settings and give a clean line-output to his amp. Best sound out of the box will be what counts. Seems as though the view is that an iPod Touch 32Gb would be your best bet at the moment, but rather pricey!

manicm

Well I got the Classic and have to say it's not bad, but not as good as my Nano 3g either. It seems to have some treble roll-off and doesn't quite have the holographic sound of the Nano - been only listening on earphones. I might exchange it for the new Nano or Touch, have to decide, or wait for my rDock and hope things improve on the hifi.

Also have to confirm - I've got both CX300s and Shure SE110s and the latter still sounds rubbish on the Classic. I think I'm the only one who's not impressed by the SE110s - and I've been ripping ALAC.

Then again I do prefer a slightly bright sound - to me warmth is nothing without imaging or depth.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Using a dock does not defeat the EQ setting

I had the Shure SE210 and they sounded pretty bad. Not flat in a good sense, but in the lifeless, boring sense. CX300 are better, Denon C351 even better. Surprised no-one ever mentions the Denons.

idc

After the previous posts I have been playing with the EQ. I had everything on jazz as I liked the brighter sound. I am now starting to slowly work my way through my albums and change the EQ. It has made a big difference with Radiohead's 'Kid A'. With jazz there was distortion, especially on the treble. I had tried re-importing at lossless as it was originally 256kbps AAC, but that did not work. I tried all the settings and settled on EQ off. I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but I am enjoying finding the improvements in sound by customising individual albums to have their own EQ.

It has had a far greater impact than upping the bit rate as I had re-imported a lot of albums. Recently I paid my money and got the plus version of Kula Shaker's album 'K' off itunes. It now sounds a bit flat, which seems to be the opposite of what I would expect. A fiddle with EQ and that has made it much more listenable. The dominant view on this forum has been to get the best out of an ipod use a higher bit rate. My attitude is now to get the best sound out of an ipod is to use the EQ to get the best sound for each album.

I have been deciding on which EQ to have by first, on the ipod go to settings, select EQ and then you can try the different settings by scrolling and selecting as you play a track. The sound of the track will change as soon as you click select. Once you have decided which one sounds best you need to set it on itunes. Highlight the album you want to change, right click and then get info. Go to the options tab and then in the drop down box for equaliser preset select the setting you want and OK.

John Duncan

manicm:And Che1, did you experience ALAC problems with your Touch? Others on the net have reported periodic dropouts with ALAC playback.

I did, but it was fixed with the latest firmware revision.

A

Anonymous

Che1:
Using a dock does not defeat the EQ setting

I had the Shure SE210 and they sounded pretty bad. Not flat in a good sense, but in the lifeless, boring sense. CX300 are better, Denon C351 even better. Surprised no-one ever mentions the Denons.

Brilliant. I thought it did! Will get straight back onto it when I get home and have a fiddle. Though I do wish there was a user definable EQ profile you could apply. Something like Rock, but with a little less boomy bass. Doesn't exist! Grrrr.

idc

Hi Will. Just to confirm, there is one product that by-passes volume, EQ, the lot and extracts only the digital data and that is the Wadia itransport, which is £350 minimum (the cost of a PC with a good sized memeory which will do the same thing) and then you need a DAC ontop of that. The Russ Andrews GQ-24 cable, which starts at about £50 by-passes only the volume.

I wish as well that the customised EQ settings that can be created on itunes could be imported to the ipod. Hopefully that will come. My personalised setting is flat, but instaed of being at the half way point it is higher at 3/4s.

More info on the EQ here; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2618?viewlocale=en_US

Duffy, 'Rockferry' EQ is now on accoustic. Lounge was a close second. I am finding that as I play about with the EQ, it is easier to find which one works best as you learn the effect each one has. With Duffy you want her voice to stand out and sore, but lose the zing on the high pitch. Flat was too dull, jazz too bright and rock, dance etc too thudding.

manicm

JohnDuncan:manicm:And Che1, did you experience ALAC problems with your Touch? Others on the net have reported periodic dropouts with ALAC playback. I did, but it was fixed with the latest firmware revision.

John, I know I'm ultimately chasing a red herring here, but how do you find the sonics on your Touch?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts