Better amp needed!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current system is an arcam cd192, nad c352 and b&w cm2 speakers with atlas hyper 1.5 speaker cable and atlas explorer cable. My system has plenty of power and speed its just lacks a bit refinement and i think my nad is the guilty party, my budget is around 800 pounds for a new amp, any suggestions would be welcome.

John Duncan

Primare i21 (obviously
emotion-2.gif
)

Or a s/h A30.1.

A

Anonymous

John, are the Primare I21's really the good? Would you recommend this over say an Arcam A22? (Sorry to hijack the thread)

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply's, i will get down my local seven oak's and have a listen to the kandy and the 121.

John Duncan

I think the i21's great (I have the earlier a20, but spent quite a bit of time with the i21 in the forlorn hope that I could squeeze it on to my shelves), and the A30.1 is one of my all-time favourites, available on eBay for 600 notes or thereabouts.

The OP asked for refinement, which I found the Primares have in spades, whereas I think the Kandy is a teensy bit boisterous - YMMV.

You might also consider the Marantz PM7001 or its KI variant, which also fit the bill, for much less (knobs notwithstanding).

A

Anonymous

B&W, Primare, Arcam all have bad bass control. Very colour and bloating. I not ever think to use those products together.

Primare very over rated on this forum. People fall for the casing metal.

However, if you use clean controller amplifier then it may expose poor B&W tweeter.

You have hard dilemma.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
If you like the Arcam 192 then the Arcam FMJ A32 amplifier is available new for under £700 at a couple of places. A good deal given it was over £1200 a month back.

A

Anonymous

If you were in London and near me you could come and have a listen to the PM7001KI Sig, but I fear SWMBO will slice and dice me if the volume knob goes anywhere near the 9 o'clock position.

You can try out the plethora of ICs I've got and hear the difference they make (or not, depending on what you're comparing)

I'd have to think of a way of disposing of SWMBO and baby for a few hours.

I truly adore the aura, clarity and weight the PM7001 KI Sig offers. I once thought that the Rogers LS55a were easy to drive with the PM66SE KI sig or an Audiolab 8000A....until the 7001 was unleashed on them.

See if you can get an ex-dem at around £350. I haven't tried the standard 7001 so I can't offer comparisons.

That'll really put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Actually, yeah - forget the amp. How much 1664 can you get for 800 quid?

I dunno, but I'll be damned if I'm not gonna find out!

A

Anonymous

Beer and music, a most wonderful combination. I might keep the amp and just get hammered every night, at the moment its every other day. rock on!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
jimm:Beer and music, a most wonderful combination. I might keep the amp and just get hammered every night, at the moment its every other day. rock on!

Wise words.............

Seriously though. If you could push your budget to £1000, you could auditon Roksan's 'Caspian', which beat a handful of others in this months group test no less!

A

Anonymous

See if you can find a Musical Fidelity A5 for about 1k or a little under. You'll never buy another amp...

A

Anonymous

I agree with the other guys comments about Primare, great looks but a bit flat and boring sounding, good amp just not a magic amp, that was a slightly older version.

Best amp at £800, that's a easy one, the Sonneteer Campion, I've yet to hear better to my tastes.

T

the record spot

How about a Musical Fidelity A1001 integrated for around the £700-800 mark, or a used Cairn for about £600 from the used market as an alternative to the usual suspects? There's more out there than you realise...!

A

Anonymous

I recently picked up an A5 (not A5.5) that was brand new (box not even opened) on ebay for £600 (or £650 - can't remember exactly). It's hard to pick up a better amp for the money...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts