Best noise cancelling earphones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I work in a very noisy office with loud music playing. Normally I work with headphones on so I can listen to (usually classical) music. That way I can concentrate. However, with my cheapo Sony MDR–V150s, all I get a combination of what I’m listening too and whatever is on in the office. Let me tell you Mozart and Lady Gaga is not a good mix. Or I have to turn up my headphones so loud it hurts my ears. Not good.

So my question is, which noise isolating earphones block out most ambient sound? Shure? I was thinking of spending £100 max but I can spend more if absolutely necessary. If I can’t solve this problem I may have to find another job. It’s driving me mad. Sound quality is not as important as blocking out as much background noise as possible.

Thanks so much for your help.

Reuben

A

Anonymous

I work in advertising. In my twenties I used to love the noisy atmosphere but now I'm 35 I need a bit of peace and quiet! On the other hand, if I start making a fuss then everyone will probably have a go at me for being dull and boring. Hence I thought I could solve the problem with the right earphones.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I just realised I made a schoolboy error. I'm actually after a recommendation on noise *isolating* earphones. I was thinking maybe Shure SE210 or Etymiotics ER6i?

idc

I dont like shoving things in my ear, but my understanding is that such earphones will block out all noise, whereas noise cancelling phones such as the Goldring HS1000 do a better job blocking constant noise such as in trains and planes, but not all noise. If you can hang fire for a few days I have the Goldrings on order and will havean idea of how well they work. They are £50 from Play.com, down from £160 and a 5 star rating from What Hifi.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
idc:I dont like shoving things in my ear, but my understanding is that such earphones will block out all noise, whereas noise cancelling phones such as the Goldring HS1000 do a better job blocking constant noise such as in trains and planes, but not all noise. If you can hang fire for a few days I have the Goldrings on order and will havean idea of how well they work. They are £50 from Play.com, down from £160 and a 5 star rating from What Hifi.

I can vouch for these. I bought them last week and they are great.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
idc:There you go reubs007. Goldring HS1000 bargain. They are not always at £50, so hurry whilst stocks last. Other forums are buzzing about this deal.

I'm on the train st the moment listening to Madness (their new album...oh, now The Who) on my iPhone. I'm being thoughtful and have the volume at 3/4. I can hear a little rattling as the train goes fast. However, I just turned the vol up and nothing but Daltrey!

Gerrardasnails:idc:There you go reubs007. Goldring HS1000 bargain. They are not always at £50, so hurry whilst stocks last. Other forums are buzzing about this deal. I'm on the train st the moment listening to Madness (their new album...oh, now The Who) on my iPhone. I'm being thoughtful and have the volume at 3/4. I can hear a little rattling as the train goes fast. However, I just turned the vol up and nothing but Daltrey!

Is it "5:15" by any chance, Gerrard?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I am currently listening to Johann Strauss - The Blue Danube on the iPod with the Goldring NS1000's, and Lady Gaga playing on the hi-fi at decent but moderate volume.

With the iPod at about 70-80%* volume, and noise cancelling on, I can only hear Lady Gaga during silent or very quiet passages. Switching the noise cancelling off reveals some bass from Lady Gaga at this volume, with Lady Gaga being clearly heard with the iPod volume turned down to about 50%

Now turning the noise cancelling back on, with the volume still at 50%, there is an immediately noticeable reduction in the bass and a reduction in overall sound coming from the hi-fi. But still quite audible. Increasing the volume again, and Lady Gaga soon melts into the background by the time the volume is back to that 70-80%* volume level.

* I do find the Goldrings need a bit of a push - with my Shure 110's I'd soon be deaf at that volume level.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Gerrardasnails:idc:There you go reubs007. Goldring HS1000 bargain. They are not always at £50, so hurry whilst stocks last. Other forums are buzzing about this deal. I'm on the train st the moment listening to Madness (their new album...oh, now The Who) on my iPhone. I'm being thoughtful and have the volume at 3/4. I can hear a little rattling as the train goes fast. However, I just turned the vol up and nothing but Daltrey!

Is it "5:15" by any chance, Gerrard?

ha ha PP, same album but as I typed it was Helpless Dancer - I had it on shuffle all songs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Particularly margetti for doing the field test on the Goldrings! I'm going to try a cheap set of noise isolators first - Creative EP-630 - as ideally I would like to block out all ambient noise. If I can cope with having something shoved in my ear, I'll get a more expensive set e.g. Etymotics or Shure

If not, I'll get the Goldrings

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts