Best flooring for home cinema?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Big Boss not sure if you mentioned this but what are the dimentions of the room and what kind of layout will be able to get?

Is it just the surrounds that will be inwall or do you have to go for all your speakers inwall.?

I don't know if you've seen or heard this subwoofer and I know it looks like a radiator but trust me you will be blown away by how good it is. If I had the money I would buy 2 but to go with the inwall theam why not have a wall mounted subwoofer.

http://rel.net/products/habitat-1-landing/

I saw and heard one at the Bristol Show over the last 2 years. Launch year and this year where they intergrated it with 2 other Rel subwoofers. The difference in sound clarity was awesome.

Oh and it's wireless too.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Wow! The world of flooring is much bigger than I thought!! Engineered wood looks really good. I always thought of vinyl as a low quality cheap option......Amtico & Karndean.......are they really that good?
I have Karndean in my hall,gym and kids playroom. I have had it for several years and it still looks good. I have not needed to do this, but because it comes in "planks", a damaged plank can be removed and replaced fairly easily (I cannot think of any other flooring to which that applies). This stuff is used commercially because it is so hard wearing. I have carpet where the hifi is, but if that is not allowed, one of the vinyls might work for you.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Cno is right. The real Big boss won't approve of bass trappings. :( I somehow managed to get her to agree on in-wall and in-ceiling speakers as she wants to maintin minimalism in the lounge (I've still not reminded her that the subwoofer needs space as well). *secret*

I might be able to convince her for printed canvas wall art though.......

Not printed canvas art - Printed Art Based Acoustic Panels - GIK do them with any picture you want.

Minimalism is the opposite to good sound quality generally, best shatter her plans now before its too late :)

The attitude of the receiver has advanced eq so it doesnt matter actually is the opposite of true

CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:
Let me know how you get on.

IIRC they were the only company that i came across to give a decent warrenty, so ask about that....but they aren't cheap.

I've just emailed them. I think if the quality is well worth it, then I will consider it to be an investment.

The quality is as good as it gets.

I went with 21mm Tiger Oak, which being grown in a cold climate is harder (due to growing more slowly). http://www.plankco.com/native-european-collection/siberian-tiger-oak-rustic/

The colour looks very nice! How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? And when did you buy it?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think it was around £60/m2 (maybe a little less) and it was probably 4 years ago. The floor was laid, sanded and varnished on site. The colour is effected by how it's finished (IIRC Water or Oil Based varnish).

Is there any way you can get to see a sample, and see how the finish effects it....these were available when I bought mine.

You need to talk this over with them.....especially it's stability with UF Heating.

If I can dig out any further details, I will post them.

EDIT. Here are the actual details:

Dealt with David (owner I think) and Tom (technical/practical)

Factory @ Newtownards (028 91 280 028)

Date June 07 *shok*

Price £60

Siberian Tiger Oak - small knot / 6" Plank

Oil Laquer, finished with Water based....gives a deeper "honey" finish than Water based alone.

michael hoy

Hi BB,

I know these people are only suppliers, but may help you decide and they are very helpful.

We had some reclaimed dance floor (American Oak) fitted in our dinning room 20 years ago and is still looking good.

Sold the house to a relative so still see the floor.

We re varnished after 10 years with a water based varnish.

I would stay away from laminate.

CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
*drinks*

Was it the 15mm one then?

No, it was the 21mm.

Thanks!! So the prices appear to have gone up since then (as it starts from £60/m2 now, & they have 15 & 21mm versions). I haven't received any response to my email. I called them yesterday morning, and the concerned person wa meant to call me back yesterday. This hasn't happened as yet. Oh well, if they don't want my business.....

michael hoy said:
Hi BB,

I know these people are only suppliers, but may help you decide and they are very helpful.

We had some reclaimed dance floor (American Oak) fitted in our dinning room 20 years ago and is still looking good.

Sold the house to a relative so still see the floor.

We re varnished after 10 years with a water based varnish.

I would stay away from laminate.

Cheers for this! Will most likely go for engineered wood in the lounge and hallway, and ceramic in kitchen / family area. Still undecided on bedrooms. Don't want carpet. OH wants laminate for the bedrooms as it's easy to maintain. I'm going to visit a showroom over the weekend & speak to them...

robinkiddie

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Wood floor is def in vogue. Cheap and nasty IS just that and the best is good but imo you cant beat carpet. Carpet tiles in the kitchen are washable or just replace one or two. All our floors need a quick vacuum and thats it really. Acoustically no contest (not just hifi but general 'sound' of a hard floor is not pleasant to me. Carpets are warm & cosy. Easy to clean. Stain resistant (Vanish spray is brilliant). Not really much help but just an opinion. Bedrooms and lounge - must be carpet for me. Thank goodness weez all different.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
robinkiddie said:
Wood floor is def in vogue. Cheap and nasty IS just that and the best is good but imo you cant beat carpet. Carpet tiles in the kitchen are washable or just replace one or two. All our floors need a quick vacuum and thats it really. Acoustically no contest (not just hifi but general 'sound' of a hard floor is not pleasant to me. Carpets are warm & cosy. Easy to clean. Stain resistant (Vanish spray is brilliant). Not really much help but just an opinion. Bedrooms and lounge - must be carpet for me. Thank goodness weez all different.

I agree with you for lounge and bedrooms. If you have kids who jump off the beds, you certainly want carpets in their bedrooms(and probably your own as they will do it there too and the noise is horrendous). For the lounge carpet is far better for the hifi and more cosy. Kitchen no. Ceramic tiles are far easier to clean ( Karndean would be good too as it is easy to replace as well as clean) . My mum had carpet tiles in the kichen and they were a complete nightmare even when scrubbed with vanish.

robinkiddie

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I've no axe to grind but replacing carpet tiles is cheap and easy and they wash well. I keep spares in case of major spills. I bounce too many platest for hard flooring

michael hoy

bigboss said:
Cheers for this! Will most likely go for engineered wood in the lounge and hallway, and ceramic in kitchen / family area. Still undecided on bedrooms. Don't want carpet. OH wants laminate for the bedrooms as it's easy to maintain. I'm going to visit a showroom over the weekend & speak to them...

The house we are currently in has Cherry laminate flooring, my wife categorically states that it is a pain to maintain.

Edit: Should have said in one of the bedrooms.

michael hoy

bigboss said:
Thanks. In what way is it a pain? Need to convince the boss....

Hi BB,

Added an edit to my post to state the flooring is in one of the bedrooms.

My wife tells me it attracts dust like a magnet, she has not come home from work yet so i will ask her later for more detail.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
*drinks*

Was it the 15mm one then?

No, it was the 21mm.

Thanks!! So the prices appear to have gone up since then (as it starts from £60/m2 now, & they have 15 & 21mm versions). I haven't received any response to my email. I called them yesterday morning, and the concerned person wa meant to call me back yesterday. This hasn't happened as yet. Oh well, if they don't want my business.....

I'm not really surprised that prices have gone up over 7 years.

It's not good that they haven't shown any interest in your enquiry.....though IME, it should be worth the extra effort (it is holiday season at the minute, so stuff often falls through the cracks).

FWIW. I went with laminate (Wild Cherry mat finish) for all the reasons that has put it on your radar, but was delighted when it was removed. It just didn't quite look or feel like wood, it showed the dust, it was noisy, it showed white when damaged.....and effed up the sound.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I went to the shops yesterday to look at some flooring. Definitely going for engineered wood for the lounge, hallway and family area. I was actually very impressed with vinyl tiles, which I could consider for the bedrooms!

For the master bedroom, I've seen something very special:

http://www.ecoflooringuk.com/content/statement/recl-oak-chev.html

I've asked for some quotes.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thanks for all the advice so far! I went to the shops yesterday to look at some flooring. Definitely going for engineered wood for the lounge, hallway and family area. I was actually very impressed with vinyl tiles, which I could consider for the bedrooms!

For the master bedroom, I've seen something very special:

http://www.ecoflooringuk.com/content/statement/recl-oak-chev.html

I've asked for some quotes.

Oooh very nice. I worked on a few of those in my Floor laying days. That will look sweet if you decide to go for it.

Thanks! A quick question: should I get the flooring for the kitchen and bathrooms done by the builders or from elsewhere? The builders are charging a lot more than the market. With the kitchen units being offered as standard is it better to get the flooring done by them or can we add flooring later? Will they wash their hands off any leakage in the bathrooms under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts