Best extension cable?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. I need to get a decent extension cable, say, 3m, with a 1/4 inch jack and socket. Any advice on where to get a decent one off the shelf? Thanks a lot. PS: Like an idiot I had posted this in the main HiFi forum in error so apologies for the double post.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Hi all. I need to get a decent extension cable, say, 3m, with a 1/4 inch jack and socket. Any advice on where to get a decent one off the shelf? Thanks a lot. PS: Like an idiot I had posted this in the main HiFi forum in error so apologies for the double post.

I have such a cable that came with my Grado PS1000e, which I don't even use. It's very heavy duty and premium materials - probably worth a bundle. Anyway I'd gladly send it off to a U.S. address for shipping cost only (PM me at my website).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Paulq said:

I have such a cable that came with my Grado PS1000e, which I don't even use. It's very heavy duty and premium materials - probably worth a bundle. Anyway I'd gladly send it off to a U.S. address for shipping cost only (PM me at my website).

Thanks Dale that's very kind of you to offer. Alas I don't have a US address that you could post to but thanks for the offer.

Here's a stupid question. The Grado extension cable is just 'a cable' right? What I mean is, des it affect the sound characteristics of what you are listening to? My previous experience of Grado headphones is not favourable as I find them too bright and scratchy. If I pair up their extension cable with my current setup am I gonna get that issue again or is it simply an extension of the cable?

abacus

Providing it is a decent quality cable, it will not alter the sound in any way whatsoever.

Pop along to your local professional music store or online store, and you will be able to pick up a properly constructed cable from there. (Should Not cast more than £10 max and usually much cheaper (Best to always avoid Hifi cable manufactures who will charge you a fortune for something that a professional would not be seen dead using)

Hope this helps

Bill

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
dalethorn said:
Paulq said:

Thanks Dale that's very kind of you to offer. Alas I don't have a US address that you could post to but thanks for the offer.

Here's a stupid question. The Grado extension cable is just 'a cable' right? What I mean is, des it affect the sound characteristics of what you are listening to? My previous experience of Grado headphones is not favourable as I find them too bright and scratchy. If I pair up their extension cable with my current setup am I gonna get that issue again or is it simply an extension of the cable?

It's strictly an extension, and unlike some premium headphone cables that have a lot of silver and other exotic metal that can brighten up the sound, the Grado cable seems neutral. But, maybe I should test it on a different setup, in case there were some changes in impedance or capacitance. If you have a general suggestion as to the best test (computer, USB DAC, portable DAC, headphone type) for it, then I can see if it changes the sound for other headphones and/or amps.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
abacus said:
Providing it is a decent quality cable, it will not alter the sound in any way whatsoever.

Pop along to your local professional music store or online store, and you will be able to pick up a properly constructed cable from there. (Should Not cast more than £10 max and usually much cheaper (Best to always avoid Hifi cable manufactures who will charge you a fortune for something that a professional would not be seen dead using)

Hope this helps

Bill

If I were to list all of the poor-quality cables and connectors I've had over a couple decades, which were intermittent, failed, or just noisy from interference, it would take all day to write them down. Or you can check some of the Amazon one-star reviews, which I did as recently as yesterday.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dale

That would be useful. Aside from my hifi I use a MacBook Pro listening to mainly uncompressed FLAC files channeled through a Meridian Explorer 2 into Denon AHD7k's and the others mentioned in my sig apart from the T1's.

I'd be interested to hear your findings.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Hi Dale

That would be useful. Aside from my hifi I use a MacBook Pro listening to mainly uncompressed FLAC files channeled through a Meridian Explorer 2 into Denon AHD7k's and the others mentioned in my sig apart from the T1's.

I'd be interested to hear your findings.

OOPS!! I tried using the Grado PS1000e with my Macbook Pro and the Microstreamer DAC, and that sounded really good. Then I inserted the big Grado 6.35 mm female to male extension cable, and not so good. The sound got a little more harsh and more "dirty" at the same time. I don't know a better word than dirty, since there's obviously some distortion going on. The cable ends are clean and gold-plated, so the only thing I can guess is there was a change in some electrical property with that cable. The PS1000e is extremely sensitive to that stuff, as it doesn't forgive much. It does suggest to me that if you're getting a high-res sound now, then adding the extension is going to be very hit-or-miss, unless you're lucky.

TRENDING THREADS