best audio AND cinema speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Hi i have decided to buy the Yamaha DSP AX863SE and now need recommednations for the best possible speaker combination for movies AND music!

I have room at the front for floorstanders if need be, but need the centre and rears (these might even have to be wireless) to be as compact as they possibly can be. I have c £600-£750 to spend (but may find an additionaL £200 if I must!)on the speakers but am desperate to get the best possible musical performance as well as surround sound movies (PS3 and Sky HD)

Please help me choose!!!

thanks

Alex

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
How small does the centre have to be? We can work with compact rears, but if you're getting a really compact centre, you're probably best off to go for a style package I reckon. The KEF 3005SE would be a good bet if you can stretch to a £1,000 (I know, over budget, but you might find them discounted somewhere). Else I'd probably opt for the KEF 2005.3s.
If you can stretch to a centre like the one Pete's posted, also take a look at the Tannoy Mercury F1 package. The rears could potentially be switched out for a pair from one of Tannoy's style ranges to keep them compact (though you should obviously have a listen to this first and ensure it sounds okay).

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Alex,

This got me thinking, and I have come up with another system. Yes they are not currently, but Mission speakers of old are top notch!!

Have a look- front speakers £160- Mission M33i

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2083

Centre speaker £130 -Mission M2C2i

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2082

Rear speakers £120 - Mission M31i

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2079

Subwoofer £200 - Wharfedale SW150

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2208

All are 5 stars reviews (except centre speaker) from What hifi, and has a bargain price of:

only £610.

If I had your budget, I would definitely consider/demo this set up.

Hope that helps.......

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a very simillar speaker package as the one Pete mentioned above. M33i for the fronts, M3C2i centre and the M3DSi that are mounted on the wall for the rears. I bought my speakers in stages when I could afford them and a sub was next on my list. But for the size of my room I have found the M33i to offer more than enough deep bass that I havn't even bothered with a sub yet. I've had the package for a good 2.5 years now. For the money I think it's hard to beat.

The package is excellent for both movies and stereo duty, although if you are interested in 5.1 music then I would think about getting the M31i as the rears like Pete suggested.

You could always buy the main speakers 1st and then add a sub later if you feel the need.

EDIT: The M3DSi rears can be mounted either at just above ear level, or you can mount them at the top of the wall if you invert the speakers like I have done with my setup. They come with seperate mission logo stickers to stick over the mission badge,so you can mount them either way if you are limited by speaker location like I was.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Interesting SpiceWeasel...

It was only a potential system I noticed after looking at Superfi's site, but I didn't know if it would sound anygood?

Was it a system you made up, or did Mission sell it as a whole package a few years ago?

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
All are 5 stars reviews (except centre speaker) from What hifi, and has a bargain price of:

only £610.

If I had your budget, I would definitely consider/demo this set up.

Hope that helps.......

Or buy all except the sub from the same store at: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2752
Add the sub and you get the same system for £580

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Good spy, Southfly,

BUT.........

Your system has the M30i speakers for rears, whereas for an extra £30 the version I suggested had the '5 star' reviewed M31i speakers.

Maybe minor, but Alex's budget was £600-£750.

A

Anonymous

Seems your eyes are a little sharper than mine, yes it would be the better option for the M31i

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Interesting SpiceWeasel...

It was only a potential system I noticed after looking at Superfi's site, but I didn't know if it would sound anygood?

Was it a system you made up, or did Mission sell it as a whole package a few years ago?

Mission did a M33i speaker package with m33i fronts,m3c2i centre and the m30i for the rears. I mainly wanted mine for movies so went for the M3DSi for the rears, and they are easier to place than the standmount rears and imho a better speaker for movies.

My speakers are run off a Denon2105 amp with my PS3 handiling dvd's and Blu-Rays. All the speaker wires are Chord Carnival Silver Plus with the fronts bi-wired. Those M33i front speakers sound bloody amazing for the money, really punchy and suprisingly deep bass and sound really detailed across the whole frequency.

My speaker package was mainly chosen for movies and for the money sounds really good. I have only listened to the radio on my Denon amp in stereo pure direct mode, and it's suprisingly musical for 3 year old amp.

The speakers would really sing on a newer amp like the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. Possibly my next upgrade when I have some spare cash.

Sliced Bread

Pistol Pete1:Yes they are not currently, but Mission speakers of old are top notch!!

Yes, I love my 78 series missions. Very musical, but sound good with movies with a powerful enough amplifier. No idea how they would stand up agains the curent crop though. I understand that the replacement (79 series) is a bit plop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts