Best Amp for my B&W Speakers

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Would really appreciate some help in trying to decide what Amp to buy to match my speakers.

I've recently come by a great pair of B&W 602 S3s, which are in excellent condition and are working perfectly. I'm currently borrowing an old Technics amplifier which has seen some better days, and I'm looking to buy my own new one.

I'm no Hi-Fi expert, but from what I've read, the pairing between speakers and amp seems to be quite important, so I'm looking for some advice on what amp to get. I'm not looking to spend more than £400/£500, and if I ever choose to upgrade my speakers, it'll most likely be to the B&W 685s.

Appreciate any help in advance!

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Peter

We'd definitely consider the Rega Brio-R or cheaper Marantz PM6005; both would both be good options for your speakers... though if you're looking ahead to buy the B&W 685 S2s, the Arcam FMJ A19 amp will work brilliantly with them - albeit is slightly more expensive at around £600.

Becky
Staff Writer, What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Like most modern B&Ws, it has rather a low impedence at low frequencies. Try and get an amplifier that is happy to drive quite hard into a 4 ohn load. Avoid any amplifiers that warn against using 4 ohm speakers.

On the plus side these are reasonably sensitive speakers so power should not be a big issue, try and hear the Creek 50a if you can, along with the Arcam.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
How about the Rotel RA-12? B&W and Rotel are from the same company now and should have good synergy together. The RA-12 at £600 retail, with a discount, should bring you into budget. It is rated at up to 145 watts into a 4 ohm load (hi-fi choice tested) plenty of power to drive the B&W 602 S3's.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
How about the Rotel RA-12? B&W and Rotel are from the same company now and should have good synergy together. The RA-12 at £600 retail, with a discount, should bring you into budget. It is rated at up to 145 watts into a 4 ohm load (hi-fi choice tested) plenty of power to drive the B&W 602 S3's.

I don't buy into the 'synergy' thing at all, it's simply related brands giving each other a good word.

That said, it looks to be a very sensible amp for the money, the only thing it's missing is a usb type b connection for a computer.

Ideally, take your speakers to a dealers and play as many of the amps mentioned above, the ones that have the functionality you want anyway, buy the one you like the best.

playback

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Arcam fmj a19 100%. I've just matched this amp with my B&W CM8's with QED XT40 cable now im totally satisfied. I had the PM6005 and pioneer A50 plus the A19 all set up in my listening room at the same time and the A19 made so much sense.

You can haggle the price down on anything at a hifi shop.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
I don't buy into the 'synergy' thing at all, it's simply related brands giving each other a good word.

That said, it looks to be a very sensible amp for the money, the only thing it's missing is a usb type b connection for a computer.

Ideally, take your speakers to a dealers and play as many of the amps mentioned above, the ones that have the functionality you want anyway, buy the one you like the best.

+1

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go and hear those in my local shop to see which I like best.

I guess my other question is, what do you think to B&W speakers in general? I love the sound + design of my current ones, but I have nothing to compare it to (because they're my first proper speakers). Is it a sensible move to upgrade to the B&W 685s?

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
hybridauth_Twitter_106432339 said:
I guess my other question is, what do you think to B&W speakers in general? I love the sound + design of my current ones, but I have nothing to compare it to (because they're my first proper speakers). Is it a sensible move to upgrade to the B&W 685s?

When you go for an audition for amps take a look and listen to some speakers. B&W 685s2 is a good speaker but maybe the salesman have something different in store which sounds also nice to you. Let them surprise you, within your budget.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I've heard 685's connected to an old Pioneer A400 amp and an old Rotel 965bx CD player

sounded very good to me ...

might be best if you take your speakers with you when you audition for an amp, or even better, find out if they will let you demo at your own home in your own listening room. Ask them for 2 suggestions and ask them if you can use the 2 amps for the weekend. If they see that you are a genuine buyer, they may let you demo that way.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Reijer said:

When you go for an audition for amps take a look and listen to some speakers. B&W 685s2 is a good speaker but maybe the salesman have something different in store which sounds also nice to you. Let them surprise you, within your budget.

I think that he has already bought the speakers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go and hear those in my local shop to see which I like best.

Why should what other people think make any difference to you/

If I was to say that I find the latest versions of the smaller 600 and CM models to be flat, undynamic and rhythmically poor and the bigger models to be boomboxes, would it make you feel any different about your speakers?

Hypothetically that is.....

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
No. But I'm asking about a set of speakers I don't have yet and that I've never heard before. Because I haven't yet bought the 685s I was just sounding out whether, in general, B&W speakers are a good way to go.

I'm not asking about my current speakers because they sound great to me.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
No. But I'm asking about a set of speakers I don't have yet and that I've never heard before. Because I haven't yet bought the 685s I was just sounding out whether, in general, B&W speakers are a good way to go.

I'm not asking about my current speakers because they sound great to me.

Your current B&W speakers are very good speakers, they were well regarded when new. I have owned a pair of DM 601 S3 for 13 years and loved them from the word go, they are the best stand mount speakers I've ever had. If I didn't need my current Tannoy floorstanders due to the size of my room I'd happily switch back to my trusty B&W's for my main system in a heartbeat.

I haven't heard the latest B&W models, however I persoanlly don't think that the 685's will be worth an expenditure of £500 over your current DM 602. I'd say the differences will be subtle at best and not a significant upgrade. B&W in general do have a good reputation, so have confidence in your current speakers. I am familiar with B&W's from your era and to me they are a well balanced speaker. They sound exciting when required as well as smooth and well balanced overall in my personal opinion.

Another brand to consider for amplification is NAD. Great reputation for budget - mid price amps. Personally I've loved the sound of my 2 NAD amps with my B&W and Tannoy speakers over the years.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Happy_Listener said:

Perhaps you mean 'brand synergy'? - I do find that with the brand I use, there is indeed good synergy though not necesseraly related to hirarchy.

I also believe that synergy, especially with amplification/speakers is rather important. A speaker with low mechanical damping will under certain circumstances (room and listener taste) require an amplifier which can excert reasonable electrical damping or vice versa with overdamped or small speakers.

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I've used the rotel ra12 with b&w speakers and it works nicely no real nasties and you could happily live with it. I think that the audiolab I use now works much better.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Great speakers... Always have a soft spot for these!

Id be seriously considering the NAD C356BEE, an ex-demo/2nd hand Cyrus 8a or 8XP if you can find one. The Roksan Kandy K2 will work very well as would the LIII

For or under your budget the Maranzt PM6005 is a great amp and one you should demo even if just to rule out!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
davedotco said:
Happy_Listener said:

Perhaps you mean 'brand synergy'? - I do find that with the brand I use, there is indeed good synergy though not necesseraly related to hirarchy.

I also believe that synergy, especially with amplification/speakers is rather important. A speaker with low mechanical damping will under certain circumstances (room and listener taste) require an amplifier which can excert reasonable electrical damping or vice versa with overdamped or small speakers.

Indeed I do......*good*

I think the the amp/speaker interface is critical, just not 'brand' sensitive. Thank you for making this clear.

rainsoothe

hey - you might enjoy Arcam FMJ 19 (if you can find a cheaper ex-dem one), and, if you don't mind going 2nd hand, then Rotel RA 1062 (which is rare but if you're lucky enough to find one, go for it) or a Rotel RA 1520 partner these B&Ws beautifully. And they got enough juice for better speakers as well. The two Rotels I mentioned is what I personally would be looking at instead of a new lower budget amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts