BBC iPlayer

Aedes

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
A review by What Hi-Fi without a single mention of audio quality or supported formats?! BBC iPlayer has no surround sound, no 5.1, no Atmos, for any content. Five stars? Really?

Personally I also don't think you can classify a service requiring a £159 TV license as "Free".

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Aura

HappySounds

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Why no mention of the total lack of support for Echo Show devices? You say "vast device support". but apart from my TV this is the one device I would make use of (in multiple rooms) and there is no support for it. Not only that, but there is no support in the BBC Sounds app for streaming to ANY Echo device, even though there is a BBC Sounds skill. Honestly the BBC fall far short of services like Spotify even in terms of how seamless they make it to use their services.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
yeah, the lack of 5.1 is a real puzzle. The BBC's position is "we think this is niche and people don't want it" - but when you have a choice of football in HD with 5.1 on live broadcast or UHD and 2.0 on the iplayer, that doesn't seem to stack up (expecting people to ignore a live broadcast to watch the football on a 7 second delay via the app seems a lot more niche).

Friesiansam

Most people don't have the hardware for, or even care about 5.1 sound or Atmos as they just use the TV's own speakers or a simple soundbar or soundbase. As for picture quality, just had a look at Blue Planet 2 and the picture is excellent.

Reactions: Wales1

Wales1

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
A review by What Hi-Fi without a single mention of audio quality or supported formats?! BBC iPlayer has no surround sound, no 5.1, no Atmos, for any content. Five stars? Really?

Personally I also don't think you can classify a service requiring a £159 TV license as "Free".
Who cares about Atmos and other gimmicks? It's a wonderful service.

Wales1

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
Why no mention of the total lack of support for Echo Show devices? You say "vast device support". but apart from my TV this is the one device I would make use of (in multiple rooms) and there is no support for it. Not only that, but there is no support in the BBC Sounds app for streaming to ANY Echo device, even though there is a BBC Sounds skill. Honestly the BBC fall far short of services like Spotify even in terms of how seamless they make it to use their services.
Spotify! Ridiculous argument.

HappySounds

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Spotify! Ridiculous argument.
You are going to have to be more explicit about why my argument is ridiculous than simply saying that it is. Why is it 'ridiculous' to say that BBC Sounds should support streaming from the app to Echo devices? If Spotify can do it, so can (and should) BBC Sounds. These things should be as seamless as possible.

I end up not using BBC Sounds simply because it is totally straightforward to find what I want in Spotify and then stream it to the various Echo devices around my home. Why should BBC Sounds be a second-class client in this regard?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts