Bass setup

Bumblebox

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello, sorry if i'm on the wrong section i'm new to this.

I am looking for a hifi that can deliver alot of bass since thats the type of music I listen to. I don't know wether that should be one of those all in 1 hifi systems like the panasonic max 370, like a mini system or something I guess. I like that style with lights and all that, and I would definatly need a usb stick input or sd card, and a nice interface screen to navigate around music. But i don't know if these are any good or not and i've heard they are like a dj thing or something. So i am trying to find a flashy bassy mini hifi/system/set thats under £500 which is about 700 dollars if this is an american site. I have some kenwood speakers that my dad said came in an expensive hifi set and gave them to me. (they are about 15 years old and are kenwood ls58s) are they any good compared to stuff i can get for £500 and if they are I sitll need an amplifer thing,

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Inexpensive tablet with SD card slot for your music, <£100

Bluetooth receiver with built in dac, £30-£70

Pair of the biggest active two way speakers you can afford, plenty to choose from, ESI, M-Audio, Behringer etc. Try and get a proper 'active' setup rather than a 'powered' design.

Bumblebox

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:

Pair of the biggest active two way speakers you can afford, plenty to choose from, ESI, M-Audio, Behringer etc. Try and get a proper 'active' setup rather than a 'powered' design.

I have a phone with sd card so I won't need the first one. but the last 2 confuse me, what is "dac"? and do i connect the bluetooth reciever to these speakers? do i not need an amplifier then? And coming to bluetooth stuff, I would want it so I can control the music from my android phone wirelessly

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Bumblebox said:
davedotco said:

I have a phone with sd card so I won't need the first one. but the last 2 confuse me, what is "dac"? and do i connect the bluetooth reciever to these speakers? do i not need an amplifier then?

The phone transmits data wirelessly via Bluetooth, it is in 'digital' form. The Bluetooth receiver receives this digital data but it needs to be converted to analog to drive your amp/speakers, the digital to analog converter is called a dac. A lot of Bluetooth receivers output analog, so the dac is usually but not always built in. Make sure you get one with tha dac, ie with analog outs.

Like this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Receiver-Quality-Analogue/dp/B00H8ONMGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439056698&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+dac

You can connect this to pretty much any amplifier and speaker combo but given your budget and requirements you can save money by combining the amp and speakers in one box. Try and get speakers with an 8inch bass driver to maximise bass output.

Like these,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_aktiv_08.htm

Bumblebox

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Bumblebox said:
davedotco said:

I have a phone with sd card so I won't need the first one. but the last 2 confuse me, what is "dac"? and do i connect the bluetooth reciever to these speakers? do i not need an amplifier then?

The phone transmits data wirelessly via Bluetooth, it is in 'digital' form. The Bluetooth receiver receives this digital data but it needs to be converted to analog to drive your amp/speakers, the digital to analog converter is called a dac. A lot of Bluetooth receivers output analog, so the dac is usually but not always built in. Make sure you get one with tha dac, ie with analog outs.

Like this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Receiver-Quality-Analogue/dp/B00H8ONMGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439056698&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+dac

You can connect this to pretty much any amplifier and speaker combo but given your budget and requirements you can save money by combining the amp and speakers in one box. Try and get speakers with an 8inch bass driver to maximise bass output.

Like these,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_aktiv_08.htm

ah ok, so am i bassicly making a really good (and big) version of portable bluetooth speakers? my phone connects to this reciever and it plays my music out of the speakers, sounds awesome. "amp and speakers in one box" are you refering to like, standalone speakers, ones that usually have bass controls and stuff on the back with no amplifier needed because i've heard of them before definattly. but would i be able to add speakers to this? could i get for instance 2 of those speakers you linked, and hook them up to my passive speakers with the same bluetooth connection from my phone? (so play both at the same time) and could i add speakers with built in amp to them?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You can not mix passive and active speakers and trust me, you won't want to. The power (60 + 30 watts per speaker) of the ESI will give you power and presence with a great bass kick, adding the passive speakers would be like putting a propeller on Concord.

If you want to add a second pair of similar speakers, there are 'link sockets' on the speakers, just buy the right cables. You need to do a bit of research but it is all pretty simple stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts