B&W vs KEF

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear experts, I am building up a small (and relatively cheap) HiFi system with networking/Airplay capabilities.

The electronic will be a Denon RCD-N7 or a Marantz 603 (not too much choice for that!)

On the speaker side, I bought in December a pair of Kef iq5se, but now the same dealer offer me to go for a pair of B&W 684 giving back my KEFs and adding a money difference (around 300 pounds...which is not very compatible with my budget)

What do you think? Shall I go for it or better stay with my iq5se?

Both speakers are rated 5*stars, so the WhatHifi ranking does not help me so much!

Thanks for your advise

Pierre

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Based on some recent testing I've been doing for another publication, I'd go for the KEF Q300s, as they work very well indeed with the Marantz and Denon.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Possibly, but I'd suggest if he wants low-end welly - and he doesn't specifically say he does - the best solution might be to use some smaller speakers, such as the Q300s, and consider an active subwoofer.

Not that I think the sound with the Q300s will be in any way bass-light...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Going from iQ5se to the Q300, I don't actually think the OP would be losing out on low end - they're surprising little speakers - I've been running some in in my AV system and I'm quite surprised how low they're reaching for such a small cabinet!

A

Anonymous

Dear all, thanks for the inputs given so far. Please bear in mind that I won't have other choice than the KEF iq5SE versus the B&W 684, and in addition I have to stay on floor speakers (not bookshelf).

Hope this helps in clarifying the small perimeter of my question.

Concerning the electronics, I still hesitate between RCD-N7 and 603, severall sellers gave me contradictory advise...but never putting each item too lower or higher with respect to the other. Thanks again, I wait for your answers

Pierre

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pmroviera:Concerning the electronics, I still hesitate between RCD-N7 and 603, severall sellers gave me contradictory advise...but never putting each item too lower or higher with respect to the other. Thanks again, I wait for your answers

If you want DAB radio but don't mind not having Wi-Fi or an iPod dock on the top, go for the Marantz; if you want Wi-Fi and/or the iPod dock, and don't mind not having DAB, go for the Denon. Beyond that, it's really a matter of deciding which one's styling you prefer.

Either will drive either of the speakers you suggest to the kind of levels most people will want in a normal domestic enviroment.

A

Anonymous

There is no DAB in France, and I may need a wireless capability, so probably I will go for a Denon. I am glad to learn that both speakers (BW 684 and KEF iq5se) would be fine, but the question is still open: shall I spend 300 pounds (indeed 350 Euro) more for changing to BW or that not worthy and the KEF are enough?

I forgot to precise that the kind of music would be rather wide, from classical (piano concerts, symphonical...) to teen-ager pop-rock...so I really need a "4 wheel drive" small system.

What would you do in my place, Andrew? Keep your 300 pounds or invest it to upgrade to BW?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're happy with the speakers you have, stick with them; if the dealer can demonstrate to you that the B&Ws are better - and indeed worth the extra money better - then go for those.

Both are extremely good designs, as are both the Denon and Marantz systems; it's really down to you to listen now and choose which combination suits you best.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Why not the aviano 6 if your looking for a bit more bottom end welly? These were much better in the bass response department and are floorstanders for pretty much the same price as the IQ5se.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all, I will look for a shop with both speakers available and listen to them simultaneously...

what I retain from your inputs is that both Kef iq5se and BW684 would fit...so maybe that's not worth changing my Kef for the BW...unless I will be very surprised by the comparison listening

I will let you know how it ends...

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

finally the "cheap" B&W I had found have been sold, so probably I will remain with my iq5SE.

Some of you suggested me to couple them with a subwoofer. Any particular suggestion for a suitable model, possibly not exceeding my delta-budget of 300 pounds?

Thanks

Pierre

A

Anonymous

Dear all, dear experts,

I had opened a few days a thread to see if I should replace my Kef iq5se with some B&W 684 or similar... the problem is that now I am facing serious doubt from most sellers stating that "my Marantz 503 simply will not drive properly the B&W 684, or Kef iq70 or similar size" and that "I should better choose a Monitor Audio RX-6 or a Davis Matisse"

I am a bit lost.

According to tech spec, my Marantz should also drive a Kef iq90,even if it will not probably get the maximum dB from it.

What shall I do? I have found a good buyer for my Kef iq5se...and I would avoid telling him "sorry, I will keep it since my amp is too small for other speakers..."

Admitting that the Marantz WOULD drive such size of speakers, some other sellers tend to suggest the iq70 better than the BW 684...which might be a good news since I have found some cheap iq7se, which apparently are not so different from the iq5se.

Remember that I am building up a "versatile" system for my kids and myself, ranging from chamber music to 2010 rock!

Thanks again in advance for your kind support and feed-backs

Pierre

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts