B&W MT-30 Partnering Kit

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm off to purchase the B&W MT-30 Satellite and sub package tomorrow and wanted people's opinions/experiences on blu ray players and av receivers to partner with these. I'm willing to pay up to around £1200 for the blu ray player and £1500 for the receiver and am looking for a very high quality sound and picture and as good quality cd playback as possible. I'm aware of that the B&W's, whilst capable, won't give me the depth of sound as bigger cabinets but bigger cabinets are not praticle as my apartment is very modern and I've already had it fully wired to accept the B&W's. The room size is 19 x 12.5 feet narrowing to 8 feet after 13 feet with the system sitting at the wider end of the room with a wall mounted 50" Samusung PS50P96FDX HD ready plasma, minimal furniture and hardwood floors. According to reviews the most obvious choices in this price band are the Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray and the Sony STR-DA5400ES Receiver. I was concerned that the receiver maybe too powerful for the MT-30s and the room size and that the B&W's may not be able to extract the best performance from this relatively high end partnerning equipment. Will I get a noticeable difference in sound and picture quality say versus a cheaper Sony BDP-S760 or Pioneer BDPLX71 blu ray and Denon AVR-2310 receiver? I also read some reviews around future proofing for the Sony blu ray player and reliability of the Sony receiver; is there any mileage in waiting till Sony bring out new products this year? Thanks in advance for your comments.

colin100:I'm off to purchase the B&W MT-30 Satellite and sub package tomorrow and wanted people's opinions/experiences on blu ray players and av receivers to partner with these. I'm willing to pay up to around £1200 for the blu ray player and £1500 for the receiver and am looking for a very high quality sound and picture and as good quality cd playback as possible. I'm aware of that the B&W's, whilst capable, won't give me the depth of sound as bigger cabinets but bigger cabinets are not praticle as my apartment is very modern and I've already had it fully wired to accept the B&W's. The room size is 19 x 12.5 feet narrowing to 8 feet after 13 feet with the system sitting at the wider end of the room with a wall mounted 50" Samusung PS50P96FDX HD ready plasma, minimal furniture and hardwood floors. According to reviews the most obvious choices in this price band are the Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray and the Sony STR-DA5400ES Receiver. I was concerned that the receiver maybe too powerful for the MT-30s and the room size and that the B&W's may not be able to extract the best performance from this relatively high end partnerning equipment. Will I get a noticeable difference in sound and picture quality say versus a cheaper Sony BDP-S760 or Pioneer BDPLX71 blu ray and Denon AVR-2310 receiver? I also read some reviews around future proofing for the Sony blu ray player and reliability of the Sony receiver; is there any mileage in waiting till Sony bring out new products this year? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi colin100

As an alternative i would recommend that you also consider Yamaha's DSP-Z7 AV amplifier. The DSP-Z7 is (as i have said in many previous posts) imo the finest AV amplifier currently available on the market (even at it's full RRP of £1960). The DSP-Z7 is now generally available around £1.5k (which is even better).

If the DSP-Z7 interests you than also consider the new BD-S1900 at an RRP of £550. I personally would not spend more than than this amount at the moment (irrespective of make) on a Blu ray player as i don't believe the performance gains justify the extra cost.

I have sold Yamaha AV amplifiers with B&W speakers over the years and the DSP-Z7/BD-S1900 is a combination that will also work very well with your B&W speakers.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You could take a look at Onkyo's new THX Bluray player which is coming in at £600. It's looking quite promising so far.....

As for AV amps, the DSPZ7 is definitely the pick of the crop for me, but you could also try the 4310 which can be had for the same money - very similar tonal characteristics to the MT series. Which you prefer the sound of is up to you.

Mods - I'm assuming the link is ok as it's not a sales link....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts