B&W A7: connectivity and performance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone
smiley-smile.gif

I have been following your reviews for many years: great work
smiley-smile.gif

It's my first post on your website. Based on your review, I recently bought a A7 of B&W.

In your review, you are saying that the best audio performance is through the usb connection.

I would like to know :

- why the audio performance aren't the same on rest of the inputs : jack 3.5 analog, jack 3.5 digital, airplay ?

- if I use the a digital input jack 3.5 of the A7 , is that the sound quality will be equal to the sound of the usb input ?

- is there a way to get the same audio quality for these inputs ?

- for my ipod, if I use a converter jack 3.5 to usb to connect into the usb input of the A7, will that work ?

Thanks in advance for your answser and your time
smiley-smile.gif

Sagas

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The 3.5mm output on your iPod/iPhone is only Analogue.. If you want to bypass the crappy DAC and Amplifier in your phone (you do, trust me) you should be able to use your standard computer lead that your ipod came with as thats digital, into the USB port... I don't know for sure but I imagine it 'should' work and thats the best possible quality you'll ba able to get from your iPod..

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Thanks for the reply
smiley-smile.gif
I totally agree that ouput jack 3.5 of the ipod doesn"t deliver the same audio quality as the 30 pin output.

One of SendStation's product give you the ability to get a usb output and a jack 3.5 output with the 30 pin output of the ipod.

My first post was more on the B&W A7.

On the whahifi review:

whahifi review said:
If you want to hear the A7 at its very best you really need to consider plugging your computer into it. While The Mother from the soundtrack to The Road is detailed and subtly dynamic via AirPlay, playing it through the USB connection releases that extra degree of definition and nuance that makes it so achingly, beautifully melancholic.

- why the audio performance of usb input isn't the same on the following inputs : jack 3.5 analog, jack 3.5 digital, airplay ?

- what choise did i have to connect the ipod on the usb input of B&W A7 ?

whahifi review said:
Unsurprisingly, connecting a device using a standard 3.5mm analogue cable doesn’t result in quite the same level of audio quality, but it’s still a match for AirPlay, and those wanting to connect something with an optical output can use a mini-optical cable – that 3.5mm aux-in doubles-up as a digital connection.

- if I use the a jack 3.5 input as digital input of the A7 via a toslink cable, will the sound quality be equal to the sound quality of the usb input ?

Thanks in advance for your reply
smiley-smile.gif

Sagas

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure of the product but when it's refering to using a 3.5mm digital toslink it means using a digital output from a source with a digital out like a Mac mini or CD player for example.. But if you had a computer you might as well use the USB.. The 3.5mm jack on the iPod is analogue output only.. I think if you connect the iPod digitally it won't work, by all means try, just plug in the Standard 30 pin -> USB cable that comes with your ipod and see if you can select the songs on the device. If not connecting analogue via the line out dock (30 pin) might be the best you can do with an iPod.. Should still sound good considering the convenience.. Otherwise a digital connection from a computer or something with a digital out will be the best quality you can get.. I'd say USB is better than toslink but I doubt the A7 would be revealing enough to notice any real difference. Hope this helps

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
This is the type of cable I mean that will bypass the iPod amplifier, which causes a lot of disrtortion and will be a noticable improvement on airplay (minus the convenience)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-iphone-ipad-Ipod-LOD-L1-line-out-dock-cable-3-5mm-/130416471165?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item1e5d6d6c7d&_uhb=1

A

Anonymous

this is the cable i have been looking for via my ipod and my zepplinn the ebay item only is 10cm long is there a longer version?????

regards martin..

A

Anonymous

the cable looks like the one you need i have an ipod with a zepplinn i cant dock the i pod because the shelf is to high so i use a 3.5mm cable do you know if you can get a longer version of this cable?? why dont b & w use a standard usb port like i used to have on my marantz it was so much easier!!

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got a line out -> phono for like £6.50 delivered and use it on my amp and there is a very noticable improvement over using the 3.5mm jack..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dock-Connector-to-3-5mm-Jack-Line-Out-Audio-Cable-for-Apple-iPod-iPhone-iPad-/150952597776?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item232579d910&_uhb=1

1.2 metre £3.50 delivered BOOOOMMM!!!!! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS