B&W 800 Series system

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What front end processor are you planning on using?

Or are you planning on running 800's from an AV processor? I think this will be a big mistake on speakers of that quality.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Whats to explain.

B&W 800 series are going require the best amplification available within reason to sound their best

You will not get this from a AV Receiver - not even the very best ones available.

AV Receivers are not designed to drive speakers like that - they need dedicated power amplifiers - probably monoblocks on the 800 series if you mean the 800 or 801/ 802.

Something like this if you want 5 channel

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Whats to explain.

B&W 800 series are going require the best amplification available within reason to sound their best

You will not get this from a AV Receiver - not even the very best ones available.

AV Receivers are not designed to drive speakers like that - they need dedicated power amplifiers - probably monoblocks on the 800 series if you mean the 800 or 801/ 802.

Something like this if you want 5 channel

Peter Moncrief used an Arcam AVR600 to drive 7 x 802Ds and was very complementary about it. I have used one to drive Kef Ref 205/2s / 204/2c / 206DS, which it did admirally well (I now have LS50s for front L&R).....though that doesn't mean that dedicated amps wouldn't do even better.

The AVR750 is even better soundwise (and much more reliable) and should cope just as well......so I'm not saying you are wrong to advise dedicated amps, only that some AVRs can do a surprisingly decent job.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am pretty sure WHF used a Krell beast to demo the 800's

Gives some inducation amplication needed if you ask me.

That was only for 2 as well

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I am pretty sure WHF used a Krell beast to demo the 800's

Gives some inducation amplication needed if you ask me.

That was only for 2 as well

At this stage, we don't know which 800 Series he has......it could be 805 Diamonds all round.

I suppose it all comes down to budget.....and we are not aware of that yet.

Hi expat

What about also thinking along the lines of what you already have to a full blown ATC active multichannel monitoring system. Great drive units (to be joined with the new Super SH25-76 HF unit) being optimally driven by dedicated amplification.

JL Audio's E and Fathom Series of active subwoofers are also worth bearing in mind as they also work well with ATC monitors.

This would then leave you wanting an AV processor and those such as Audiolab's 8200AP, Yamaha's CX-A5000, ADA Suite 7.1, Anthem's AVM 50v and D2v are worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
At this stage, we don't know which 800 Series he has......it could be 805 Diamonds all round.

I suppose it all comes down to budget.....and we are not aware of that yet.

Sorry, it should have read ,"which 800 Series he has in mind". :doh:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been down this route before with 800 series and an av receiver. Its not just power its amplification quality as well. It.was a top of the range receiver and.it fell.short of the mark

the av receiver was not driving my GX to anything like their full potential either and 800 series is a step up from them. After listening to them.off a proper power amp such.as.the 9BSST its pretty clear

I also feel the yamaha suggested is also far off the quality of the 800 series, your talking high end kit for them - classe, mcintosh, moon, bryston etc to get the full sound 805 or up will be.the same

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
just too explain i have different systems in diff parts of house living room , bedroom and now a home cinema room so starting afresh

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Please dont think I am trying to put you off the B&W 800's - certianly not, that would be an amazing investment long term just trying to say its very easy to put a huge wedge of cash down on the speakers - then try and run it off a an AV Receiver thats not going to do them full justice.

All that happens then is your expectations get shot to pieces - it may sound nice but doesnt sound the sublime that it can with those speakers.

Obviously you can improve the system over time - however I have found that to be extremely expensive constantly chasing to get the front end on par with the speakers.

You know this is the case when you hear speakers that cost half the amount sounding just as good ????

Best to think about this upfront.

They are beautiful speakers - the 805 was my first proper pair of hifi speakers - I cherished them, loved the mid range.

I didnt have the best setup in terms of how I set the system up or the room treatments I have now.

I messed around with eq for weeks trying to get them to sound better. Changed wires, changed to biwire, changed the tweaters out for brand new - nothing I did ever really fully satisfied - didnt sound as I expected them to

Big Part of that was the room, also I know a big part of that was the setup, but I also know the reciever wasnt fully cutting it either..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
expat said:
just too explain i have different systems in diff parts of house living room , bedroom and now a home cinema room so starting afresh

Which 800 series are you considering, and have you ruled out everything else? What is your budget for the amplification?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts