B & W 686 V Wharfedale 10.1

meddlecho

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I've bought the Denon Df107 DAB I need speakers. I've listened to the B & W 686 which were great & at a cost of £200.00 ex demo.

The alternative is the Wharfedale 10.1 which I can get for £170.00 new.

The Wharfedales get better reviews but I'm not sure which to go for.

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Try to demo the Wharfedales too.

Of course, if you listened to the 686s and loved them, it sounds like you're onto a winner there, regardless of reviews.

They're your ears after all.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I owned a pair of B&W 686 and in my opinion they are one of the bad implementation from B&W. Now I have 601 and different series from B&W but I always felt that 686 were tuned to give heavy bass which compromised heavily on the rest of the frequency spectrum leaving making the sound at best muffled and unclear.

Please audition around for other alternatives in your price range.

meddlecho

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks, I appreciate yr reply. The Diamonds receive great reviews and yr right, it's my ears that count. It's difficult though to put reviews out of yr mind though!

A

Anonymous

I also had a demo of the 686 and found that they were very full-on in the upper bass / midrange. In some rock music I found that all I could here was the bass line drowning out other instruments including guitars. The diamonds are good speakers, I've had both the 8.1 and 9.1 and enjoyed them both. I'd also try and get a demo of the Monitor Audio equivalents. I was very impressed when I demo'd the BR1 and BR2.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
monitor audio br1's are unreal value. i also do like have listened to the b&w 686 and they need free air all round them and i found they are bass heavy two i think that is good though as rears which im sure they were made to be. if you played say paul weller wild wood you get no sparkle the the ma give. Also i have seen a lot of people rate the dali lector1's not sure if they are a option though

A

Anonymous

Some BR1's ex-demo on your favourite auction site as well for not much over £100. Depends on how you're going to use them really, size of the room etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts