b&w 685......not sure what to think....not great...

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, iv jest taken ownership of a pair of 685s, they looks wonderfull...but the sound, theres something not quite right....

Its hard for me to put my finger on, when listedning to just vocals, the sound its A1+++ perfect - clean as a wistle, and beats my old tanoys quite a bit. But, when the sounds a bit more detailed somthings strugling, sounds are harder to make out, its sounds a bit muddled and unclean, not really any better than my tannoys (its also not any worst), but I was expecting more of a leap.

It could be that the speakers are not the weak link in the chain though, but my amp and my not so expensive 8 year old speaker cable, the Amp itself if an old Sony STR-DB930 which is an AV amp (and which I will be replacing with eaither Nad or CA in a week or two), it is in 2 channal mode . It could be that the speakers need time to loosen up, I really dont know.

Any ideas?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Your speakers should sound pretty good from the box and get better as they settle in.

Wait until you get the new amp before slinging them out though
emotion-1.gif

Obviously you listened to all this new stuff together first when you had it demo'ed and the dealers demo gear probably would have all been run-in.

Dont worry about the cables. Just re-terminate them if you are concerned. Reveal some fresh copper and get the plugs re-soldered and they will be fine.

A

Anonymous

Maybe your last speakers were limited by the amp as well as these. As Chebby said, give it some time.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Will the OP get away with a cheaper stand like Soundstyle or Atacama nexus or would it be better to jump right in at Partington dreadnought levels of sturdy?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Soundstyle Z2 - although a superb budget stand - is a little lightweight here. Partingtons ideal, but Atabite-filled Atacama Nexus 6 would be OK, and their more attractive siblings - the Aurora 6 - a less industrial alternative!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts