B&W 685 and 686

A

Anonymous

The 686 uses the smaller drive unit also found on the HTM62, and obviously a smaller cabinet. They sound great but do not live up to the 685 as a main speaker. The 685 sounds more expansive with a greater soundstage, allowing them do disappear into the music more than the 686 which feel more like points of sound. Have you thought about moving them to the rear and getting 685's at the front?

A

Anonymous

With the 685s, you do get a bit more of a bass depth and attack boost and better transients and more efficiency and less compression when played hard. The price difference is worth it - it changes a good pair of speakers into a brilliant pair of speakers.

matthewpiano

I recently auditioned the 685s and thought they were truly awful on the end of both Marantz and Arcam electronics. Splashy treble, dead bass, and very little sense of integration and cogency to the sound. My Diamonds walked all over them in the dem room, as would the Mordaunt-Short MS914i floorstanders and my Dad's Tannoy F1 Customs. Spending that sort of money on speakers, I would strongly advise listening to the 685's competition (as well as the 685s of course).

Quite controversial I know, but its only my opinion and hi-fi is such a personal thing.

A

Anonymous

I heard the 685s on the Primare I30 and matching CDP today. I was astounded at the quantity and depth of bass they could produce but it sounded a bit undefined, bloated and poorly timed to me. The treble wasn't the smoothest either. I agree that you should try some of the competition too. Perhaps I'm being a bit hard on the 685s as they're rather good value at £385...

A

Anonymous

The 685's a superb pair of speakers while the 686's are the exact opposite!

A

Anonymous

I don't much like any of the six-eight series speakers. The seven-eights on the other hand I rather like.

That said, apart from a few holdouts like matthewpiano and myself they're one of the most lauded speaker lines out there. Probably only the Monitor Silver series can compete in terms of sheer praise in print. So with all that against me it's hard to argue on the con side.

All I'll say is Hughes' appraisal is about spot on. The speakers are very aggressive, very. I've heard them on Rotel, Rotel again, Anthem and Creek. All of which seemed to be reaching out and beating me about the face with music more than anything. They just leave me pining for the temperance of some other standmounters out there.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the 685s are excellent, but one thing I've seen from my time on the forums is you either seem to love them or think they are distinctly average. I think if you like the 686s, you'll more than likely love the 685s, but you should definitely go and have a listen and decide from there.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for all your help.

I will definitely try to listen to a pair of 685 and see if I can sell my 686 or wait to buy the 685 and put the 686 as rear (I have a pair of B&W DM302 as rear now).

And do you thing is better to spend the 600? on a pair of 685 to substitute my 686, or in a Denon 2808 to substitute my 1306? (both the 685 and the 2808 cost the same here)

Thank you once more! :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts