b&w 603 S2 anniversary floor standing speaker with amp....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
here is more probably my set up, just choosing which amp. which is your top pick?
i usually listen to music that has more base sound.

not in order.

b&w 603 s2
HEGEL H90
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007
strearmer still researching

b&w 603 s2
REGA ELEX-R
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

b&w 603 s2
MARANZT PM8006
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

b&w 603 s2
ROTEL RA1572
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

b&w 603 s2
NAIM NAIT 5SI
rega planar 3
marantz cd6007

anyone can recommend a streamer for my set up? thanks

Do you have a Phono stage?
Naim doesn't seem to have one integrated from what I can tell.
The Rega does. Suspect the Rotel does.
Much prefer the Rotel sound to the Marantz. Even when combined with a Marantz CD player, the Rotel tops it.
Regel get a good name, but are expensive.

So I go Rotel or Rega.
But if you are splashing out for a seperates Phono stage, then it seems unwise to rule out the Naim.

Dan Needs Help

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Room correction! Don’t buy an amp without it.

I’m a total convert, but for a noob it’s a godsend. If you’re going to spend on separates anyway, then look at an amp or amp/streamer that does it. NAD, Lyngdorf, etc.

I don’t know much beyond my limited experience, but I do know that it’s a great shortcut to optimizing whatever you’re going to spend.

Last edited:
$17,000 ? Who in their right mind would pay that much for a streamer+DAC?
Someone who has a complete dCS stack?

bry

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
i drop all the amp that im choosing last week and upgraded on this 2.

im choosing only this 2 for the 603 s2 anniversary series.

rega elicit-r or rotel ra1592.

which would you get? thanks

Reactions: Al ears

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
i drop all the amp that im choosing last week and upgraded on this 2.

im choosing only this 2 for the 603 s2 anniversary series.

rega elicit-r or rotel ra1592.

which would you get? thanks

Good amp choices.
Are you able to audition them alongside the speakers? Only you will know which one sounds best to your ears.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Reading between the lines of reviews of this speaker, it seems the sound can get rather excitable so be sure to choose an amp which has a bit of the opposite nature.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Reading between the lines of reviews of this speaker, it seems the sound can get rather excitable so be sure to choose an amp which has a bit of the opposite nature.

If an amp is able to correct that behavior, I wouldn´t buy it ;)

From the 2 options, my vote goes for the Rotel too. It´s a lot of amp for the money, maybe even look at the RA1572. Cheaper with the same features, only slightly less power that should be enough to drive 80% of speakers well

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site

I was thinking more along the lines of: you got the wrong speakers from the beginning.
But if you end with speakers like that, the better solution would be to EQ. Amps such as the Rotel or Rega cannot EQ (or so we hope), it´s not what their function.

bry

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Good amp choices.
Are you able to audition them alongside the speakers? Only you will know which one sounds best to your ears.

i will listen to rega with 603 s2 this weekend.

i randomly listened to dali floor standing speakers with hegel amplifier today. i like the sound of it. played house music with it, sounds very nice.

Andrei889

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi, guys. Just got my B&W 603, with 600 series central channel. Plugged them to Yamaha A2, but looking for amp. My budget up to 1.5k, what amp you can suggestions in this price range? I’m listening Moby, Ac/Dc, queen, depeche mode etc.
thanks

rainsoothe

Hi, guys. Just got my B&W 603, with 600 series central channel. Plugged them to Yamaha A2, but looking for amp. My budget up to 1.5k, what amp you can suggestions in this price range? I’m listening Moby, Ac/Dc, queen, depeche mode etc.
thanks
Hi. I suggest starting a new thread if you haven't already. Also, please provide details about room size and the rest of the system. Is it gonna be surround sound or just 3 channel? Music movies too?

TRENDING THREADS