B&W 602S3 keep blowing amps!! Recommendations?

noizeboy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I've got a pair of lovely B&W 602S3s, but even with a couple of fairly high-powered amps, they seem to send them into protect mode when turning it up just even slightly! For background music its fine, but if I turn it up past about 9 o'clock, the two amps I've tried with them just 'click' and die, temporarily.

I know the 602S3s are quite hungry, power-wise, but is this normal? What amp would you recommend? Low-budget unfortunately - between £150 and £260 (ish). As the S3s are rated at 120w (peak) at 8ohm, it needs to be something meaty.

The amps I've tried are a Sherwood 5.1 receiver and a Pioneer A407 stereo amp. The Pioneer is 45wpc rms, which is a little low, admittedly.

Thanks

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello we are running the same speakers in the gym with a
Pioneer A-307R 2x80W

Works fine sinds 2003 (the amp is way older an costed like 10.000bef new wich is arround 250€)

This just for info

So my guess is it will be not to hard to find a not to expensive amp

Good luck

noizeboy said:
Hi all

I've got a pair of lovely B&W 602S3s, but even with a couple of fairly high-powered amps, they seem to send them into protect mode when turning it up just even slightly! For background music its fine, but if I turn it up past about 9 o'clock, the two amps I've tried with them just 'click' and die, temporarily.

I know the 602S3s are quite hungry, power-wise, but is this normal? What amp would you recommend? Low-budget unfortunately - between £150 and £260 (ish). As the S3s are rated at 120w (peak) at 8ohm, it needs to be something meaty.

The amps I've tried are a Sherwood 5.1 receiver and a Pioneer A407 stereo amp. The Pioneer is 45wpc rms, which is a little low, admittedly.

Thanks

Hi noizeboy

If you are happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then a NAD C370 should do the trick :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

noizeboy said:
Hi all

Thanks

Mmmm... Arcam A65 worked really well with the 602S3s, also highly recommended by high street chains. I also used to own the A65, rated at only 40 watts. My speakers were Monitor Audio RS6s and had no trouble powering those. So either you've been very unlucky with your amps or you've been cranking the volume way beyond the 9 o'clock mark.

EDIT - looked up the spec of the B&W and they are one of the easiest B&Ws to drive: Sensitivity 90dB Normal Impedance 8 ohms (minimum 3.0 ohms) Power Handling 25W - 120W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
noizeboy said:

This is not normal imo. You better check the speaker cables, the speaker connections and internal connections of your speakers. It is possible that there is some bad connection somewhere. This can trigger the protection circuit of you amps.

plastic penguin said:
noizeboy said:
Hi all

Thanks

Mmmm... Arcam A65 worked really well with the 602S3s, also highly recommended by high street chains. I also used to own the A65, rated at only 40 watts. My speakers were Monitor Audio RS6s and had no trouble powering those. So either you've been very unlucky with your amps or you've been cranking the volume way beyond the 9 o'clock mark.

EDIT - looked up the spec of the B&W and they are one of the easiest B&Ws to drive: Sensitivity 90dB Normal Impedance 8 ohms (minimum 3.0 ohms) Power Handling 25W - 120W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

Hi plastic penguin

802D's are an even easier load to drive: Sensitivity 90dB, Nominal impedance 8 ohms (minimum 3.5 ohms) :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
noizeboy said:

This is not normal imo. You better check the speaker cables, the speaker connections and internal connections of your speakers. It is possible that there is some bad connection somewhere. This can trigger the protection circuit of you amps.

+1. Sounds like a possible failed component, maybe a driver coil breaking down.

You could see which is the problem speaker by disconnecting each in turn.

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
noizeboy said:
Hi all

Thanks

Hi plastic penguin

802D's are an even easier load to drive: Sensitivity 90dB, Nominal impedance 8 ohms (minimum 3.5 ohms) :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

So what. The OP is saying the 602S3 are "power hungry" which isn't true compared with most other B&Ws.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree that there must be a short circuit in the B&Ws. I ran my 602s with an A65+ for about 6/7 years, and have since run them biamped with my A85 & P85 for 2/3 years. Never had an issue with either set-up.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My 602S3's arent power hungry at all!

currently running mine from a CA 340Ase which is only 45WPC, drives them loud and clear with no problems.

Defo check the wiring, use a digital multimeter to test impedance across terminals at the rear or take them to a local dealer to have a look would be my siggestion.

Regards

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
You could check the speakers, one by one, connected to the amp. Then you can find out which one is fawlty. It would look very strange to me if both were "broken".

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Rethep said:
You could check the speakers, one by one, connected to the amp. Then you can find out which one is fawlty. It would look very strange to me if both were "broken".

will the real Basil please stand up and make themselves known...

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
tyranniux42 said:
Rethep said:

will the real Basil please stand up and make themselves known...

Funny yes. The real Basil Fawlty Towerspeaker!

A

Anonymous

I run my pair of 602s3's off an old Rotel RA-930AX. Only 30w p/channel! I use the second set of speaker channels to bi-amp them so 60w into 4ohms (I think). The sound is clean and punchy, certainly never underpowered. Never need to take it past quarter volume but then Rotel amps do go loud!

Seriously considering upgrading to the Rotel RA-1520 though...

I suspect you've either got a problem with your speakers or your amp. As others have said, they're not difficult to drive.

A

Anonymous

Hi Noizeboy

I also have a set of 602 s3 speakers that did the same thing to my old Marantz PM4200. I tested the speakers on some different amps and they didn't cause any problems so I figured either the PM4200 wasn't up to the task or it was on the way out. For me, if I left the amp on for hours, it could go louder. If it had been off for a while it wouldn't get past 9 o'clock either.

I've replaced it with a PM7004 after comparing that to a Rotel RA1520 and I preferred the Marantz sound although the Rotel was also very good.

Hope you're able to resolve the problem. It was very frustrating for me, for a long time! Having a new amp that can go past 9 o'clock is awesome :)

noizeboy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for all the suggestions, chaps. Really useful. Will do some home testing first, then perhaps get Audiogold.co.uk to have a look at them.

All the best!!

Noiseboy :p

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As established some way through the thread, the impedance of the 602's does drop to under 4ohms. This can require a more stable amp to deal with (not necessarily more powerful), and I've usually found that Rotel amps drive them fine.

Of course, the differing opinions here rely on the sort of volume that is required. Those driving their system hard (around the 12 o'clock point and beyond) will find their amps having a hard time. Those who never get past 10 o'clock have probably never run into problems, regardless of how low powered the amp is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts