Azimuth?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
How do I know it is correctly set on my turntable. Should it be vertical (via eye inspection) to the record surface once playing? I have suspect it might not be 100% correct..?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
The general rule is as long as the arm is parallel to the record surface, and the tracking weight is set within the cartridge manufacturer's specs, it should be fine.

The flat part of the stylus assembly doesn't always have to be 100% parallel with the record - some cartridges just aren't designed that way.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:The general rule is as long as the arm is parallel to the record surface, and the tracking weight is set within the cartridge manufacturer's specs, it should be fine.

The flat part of the stylus assembly doesn't always have to be 100% parallel with the record - some cartridges just aren't designed that way.ah- it looks fine. Thanks for the information

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
That's VTA, azimuth is the rotation of the cartridge in line with the record. It can be changed (probably not necessary) but it's best to chat with us about how to do it.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Henley:That's VTA, azimuth is the rotation of the cartridge in line with the record. It can be changed (probably not necessary) but it's best to chat with us about how to do it.I knew he referred to VTA but did not want to say anything as the VTA is spot on. So how can you check whether the cartridge is indeed in line with the record. My eye confirms it is, but is that enough for accuracy?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
You can download protractors (that print out onto A4) that will give you a good idea, but there is more than one standard - Baerwald, Loefgren, Stevenson etc.

If you google "Vinylengine protractor" you will find one that is correct for your arm/turntable. I hope I'm not flouting any house rules by mentioning that site (apologies mods, if I am), but the protractors are v. useful.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:I have always called what you have described as the alignment. You learn something new every day!

No, the alignment covers all these parameters, and is most often determined by movement fore and aft in the headshell, where allowed, and rotation in the horizontal plane (or zenith), plus the VTA.

Azimuth is about rotation in the vertical plane - the roll, if you like, rather than the yaw - and is usually achieved by rotation of the entire headshell/cartridge assembly, which is why Henley suggests you have a word if you want to adjust it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts