Awful number plates.

One thing I miss about the car forum I used to frequent (before it went toxic) was having a good giggle at some of the awful plates that people attach to their cars - MR 0 5TUD springs to mind. Just seen what might be the worst ever:

A B11MBO on a metallic pink Evoque.

I will understand if this thread falls foul of the moderators in that it could be deemed (at best) to be uncharitable, but we'll see!

D

Deleted member 188533

I'm good with it. :)

We call them vanity plates here in the States. Some states have pretty tight controls over what's allowed and I think even a few don't allow custom plates at all. But some allow almost anything so you see some craziness occasionally.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Vincent Kars

pen-15_hamilton.jpg

abacus

In the UK they are also called personalised plates, and providing they meet the specifications I cannot see what all the fuss is about, it’s their car and is no different to choosing the colour or specification of it. (You might think its daft but so what, it isn’t your car)

Bill

D

Deleted member 108165

Guess you could say the same about people who post images of their car, or engine, online. And those who put detailed list of their hi-fi gear in their signature....

I've got two plates, one fitted to the car one to motorbike :) Do I care what other people think... Nah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gray
That's the sound of someone taking it personally! I should stress that I'm not to bothered by most of them - if someone wants their initials it might not appeal to me but who cares? It's the awful examples that I give above (and their ilk) that I find hilarious.

D

Deleted member 108165

Regarding the comments in my previous post, I'm guilty on two counts so how could I take it personally when I am taking the mick out of myself? :)

D

Deleted member 108165

I would add that I bought my plates nearly 20 years ago for a giggle but with failing memory they now serve a different purpose... they are very easy to remember :)

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

DCarmi

My car still has the original plate as supplied by my dealer. I find it works ok, showing no signs of wear and tear and I won't be looking to upgrade until I come to replace the whole system.

My number plate spells my surname out. I like it, and the plate stays when I change cars. It's similar to some people not understanding why some others spend thousands on hifi, cables, acoustic treatment etc. It's all about personal preference. YMMV.

I think what's interesting is that whilst what you say about personal preferences is true, the comparison with hifi isn't (for me at least) particularly valid. Expensive hifi should (though doesn't always) sound better than cheaper stuff, so your outlay does give a definite benefit that anyone can experience. Whilst you might want a private plate, it confers no such tangible benefit - it's like buying an expensive mechanical watch*, which you might want but which tells the time no better than something electronically-powered (arguably the reverse).

Again I stress I'm not intending to poke fun at someone like you - you aren't proclaiming yourself a stud or a bimbo, and as your earlier car thread indicated, you don't drive a metallic pink Evoque!

(*No judgement implied here - I have a mechanical as well as four electronics. But I bought the former on aesthetic grounds, but if truth be told would prefer it if it were quartz.)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I think what's interesting is that whilst what you say about personal preferences is true, the comparison with hifi isn't (for me at least) particularly valid. Expensive hifi should (though doesn't always) sound better than cheaper stuff, so your outlay does give a definite benefit that anyone can experience. Whilst you might want a private plate, it confers no such tangible benefit
That perfectly sums up my thoughts.
(A £1000 number plate could achieve the impossible and make a £1000 cable seem like good value).

A watch is a great analogy. Value is something that the use puts on any product. An item is worth only so much as the buyer is willing to pay for it, whether it's a number plate or a cable. What seems good value to me may not be the same with you and vice versa.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts