Avi Neutron V

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I heard so many good things about these speakers. At the moment I have Dali Lektor 2 speakers, are the Neutrons a big upgrade ?

John Duncan

Don't know, haven't heard the Lektor 2. But if somebody wants to lend me some.....

The AVIs are very good. They depend heavily on positioning (IME), and sound much better against a back wall to reinforce the bass, but the treble and midrange are excellent (and they look gorgeous).

A

Anonymous

I've had the Rega RS1's on home demo for a week (they were great btw) and if you are looking for something in a similar price bracket and look (they also come in piano black lacquer) they are definitely worth an audition.

I am now waiting for the EB1's to be delivered, and then the Neutron 5's will be next up - if I dont fall in love with the EB1's first.

John Duncan

Tony Warwick:
I've had the Rega RS1's on home demo for a week (they were great btw) and if you are looking for something in a similar price bracket and look (they also come in piano black lacquer) they are definitely worth an audition.

I am now waiting for the EB1's to be delivered, and then the Neutron 5's will be next up - if I dont fall in love with the EB1's first.

PMC EB1? Apples and oranges, no?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Tony Warwick:

PMC EB1? Apples and oranges, no?

Sorry, EB Accoustics EB1 - despite a few problems ordering off their website, they should arrive tomorrow!

John Duncan

Aha. So the only one that hasn't been reviewed is the Neutron...I'm so gonna have to plonk 'em on Simon's desk
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I bought the AVI Neutron V about 2 months ago. Auditioned them against Dali Lektor 2, Arcam Muso (that was a mistake) and my old Monitor Audio 201s. I liked both the Dali and the Neutrons a lot. It wasn't clear-cut which ones to get. In my opinion the Neutrons had a very slight edge in clarity, particularly in the high frequencies, stronger bass, and a slightly 'larger' sound. The Dalis a bit cheaper and extremely enjoyable too -- the differences were subtle. I'm sure I would have been happy with either but got the AVIs as I was worried I'd look back otherwise (but what if... etc).

A

Anonymous

Cypher:Tony, please let us know how the EB acoustics perform. They look stunning for the money !

Certainly will
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Just had a call from EB Accoustics and they will not be with me until next week - apparently the guy is just painting them now ...hmmmm!
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

OK, so I've had the EB1's for a couple of weeks now and here is my tuppence worth:

Out of the box the EB1's look fantastic, the cabinet is beautifully made and the high quality finish of the black lacquer confirms that these are straight off the bench.

They sounded pretty amazing straight out of the box and have now been run in for almost a couple of weeks.

Considering the positioning (I have them sighted in corners about 10" from the back wall and about 12" from the sides) the bass is strong and punchy without boom and does not colour or muddy the midrange. The midrange is beautifully clear and smooth. The top is crisp - but to my ears it is not as prominent as I would like. I kept hoping that with run in the top would become more prominent but it hasnt and these have been running pretty much since i've had them.

In summary these are extremely fantastic looking and impressively detailed speakers and the WHSF review is spot on.

So, how do these compare with the Rega RS1's - The EB1's may well blow the RS1's out of the water if driven by mid/high end components, but to my ears, with my set up the RS1's just edge it. Theres not a lot in it really but the RS1's are slighly warmer and richer - I found the EB1's to be slightly clinical sounding IMHO. The Rega's top end is undboubtedy clearer and sweeter - and a more enjoyable listen for me.

So next (and last) up are the AVI Neutron 5's. Unfortunately I havent found anywhere yet that will let me home demo but they will have to be something special to bury the RS1's.

A

Anonymous

The shop that i'm going to audition the Neutrons in also sell the Dali's so I'll give them a try at the same time - it will be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

A

Anonymous

Hi Cypher,

I've still got to audition the AVI's and Dali's - probably next week. I've read on another thread though that the AVI's may not partner a bright sounding system - the Rotel RA04 amp and CA640C that I have may just slip into the 'bright' category. Unfortunately i'm not going to be able to demo them with my kit, only in store. Anyone else have any comments on the AVI's partnering my system?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would imagine that the AVIs will be no brighter than the Dalis or MA BR2s for that matter. I heard the AVI IVs and have had Dali speakers (Ikon 6). Both were excellent albeit in different ways. When I heard the AVIs I was mightily impressed but I biamp so didn't go for them.

ÿ

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Tony Warwick:
Hi Cypher,

I've still got to audition the AVI's and Dali's - probably next week. I've read on another thread though that the AVI's may not partner a bright sounding system - the Rotel RA04 amp and CA640C that I have may just slip into the 'bright' category. Unfortunately i'm not going to be able to demo them with my kit, only in store. Anyone else have any comments on the AVI's partnering my system?

I use the avi neutrons with a CA 740 combo and I love the sound, some may say it is bright but for me it is detailed and controlled. It definately isn't a warm sound though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts