AVA RS3 Music server

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi, anyone bought the AVA RS3 music server?

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/308

I have no interest in computers but I quite like the look of this, can it be racked as a hifi component?

Thanks

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
interesting, but seems like an expensive ripper with 500gig storage.

i do like the 2 format ripping tho (tho i think there is software that allows for it on a pc even...dont quote me tho...).

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
yes it is a lot of cash but I think its 1TB + future upgradebility? Considering Logitech transporter and dont realy want pc in background.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Lugs:yes it is a lot of cash but I think its 1TB + future upgradebility? Considering Logitech transporter and dont realy want pc in background.

Though it was only 500gig?

But yeah, depends on circumstances i gues. i only have a small place and all entertainment stuff and the pc havve to be in the same room, and its on all the time anyway. Might use th e pc to feed somthing like this or somethig cheaper like a squeezebox at some point tho.

daveh75

al7478:interesting, but seems like an expensive ripper with 500gig storage. i do like the 2 format ripping tho (tho i think there is software that allows for it on a pc even...dont quote me tho...).

its 2x 500gig or 2x 1tb; but your right its quite pricey

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:
al7478:interesting, but seems like an expensive ripper with 500gig storage. i do like the 2 format ripping tho (tho i think there is software that allows for it on a pc even...dont quote me tho...).

its 2x 500gig or 2x 1tb; but your right its quite pricey

Oh aye, right you are.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The quality of the playback will be dependent on the ripping software. If the ripper is rubbish, so will be the playback. You may be able to rip the files on your PC using EAC and copy them over the network to the device.

Cannot understand why gigabit LAN isn't provided. I've found fast ethernet a little wobbly at times.

Ideally, I'd like something that I could use with my system directly without having to stream the data. So the box would be co-located with my hifi. But if I wanted to stream to the kitchen, say, then I could. Doesn't seem this box will do that....it won't act as a source on it's own.

And it still looks expensive...though much cheaper than the Naim.

Just my thoughts

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi PJ,

sorry not up in IT speak, couple of questions.

Ripper in machine? How do you find out what ripper is in the AVARS3

Gigabit LAN?

I'm wanting not to have a computer on for my music so when you say this will not act as a source on its own do you mean it must be connected to a computer for it to work?

Just looked at the NAIM solution. £4500. Bargain I'm sure!

Lugs

daveh75

think pj means its a streamer, i.e it doesnt have any connections for audio to connect to your amp, so you would have to buy a squeeze box or similar to go with it, as for the ripping software it should tell you in the tech specs, although couldn't see it when i looked

A

Anonymous

The AVA RS3 comes in 1tb or 2tb version, 2 x 500g for the 1TB version, set up as raid 1. ÿI enquired about the ripper and was advised it was a version of DB poweramp. The downside is the price, DB poweramp are working on software that should allow a normal NAS to become a NAS ripper, should be a lot cheaper.

ÿCraigÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
cgbissett:
The AVA RS3 comes in 1tb or 2tb version, 2 x 500g for the 1TB version, set up as raid 1. ÿI enquired about the ripper and was advised it was a version of DB poweramp. The downside is the price, DB poweramp are working on software that should allow a normal NAS to become a NAS ripper, should be a lot cheaper.

ÿCraigÿ

sounds interesting.

PJPro - i pretty much agree, tho i dont understand all the networking stuff...

A

Anonymous

cgbissett:
The AVA RS3 comes in 1tb or 2tb version, 2 x 500g for the 1TB version, set up as raid 1. ÿ

ÿCraigÿ

Raid 1 is also known as "mirroring" since one disk mirrors/holds a copy of the other. That means only the capacity from one disk is available to hold your data. The advantage of this is that,should any of the two disks fail, the system would keep on working with the other whilst the damaged one is replaced.

So, 2x 500GB + RAID1 => 500GB available for youÿ

A

Anonymous

DB Poweramp comes in a couple if versions, one of which is free. ÿThe better version has accurate rip built in, and some forums compare it to EAC, however it has album art tagging, EAC does not. ÿI am not sure of the price however. ÿI was advised that the version in the AVA does not have accurate rip. ÿDB Poweramp are working on their own music ripper as well, available in a month or so, however they did not respond to my question on UK availability.

ÿ

Craigÿ

A

Anonymous

The AVA is a very new piece of kit, so I'd be surprised if a software upgrade is planned. However computer hardware does move and progress far quicker than regular hi-fi, therefore it is possible that a few more NAS rippers will be available shortly.

Craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts