AV Upgrade I need help!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to all, I would appreciate some advice.

I've finally got permission from her indoors to bring my old surround sound system a little way into the 21st century.

My very old system is as follows:

Panasonic TX- 32PK1 CRT

Yamaha DSP-A592 AV amplifier

Sony DVP S525D (DVD player)

Sony PS3

Virgin Media V+

Kef Q35 (Front)

Kef Q95C (Centre)

Tannoy M20 Gold Mk2 (Rear)

Rel Q50 (sub)

I'm looking as a first step to the Panasonic TH50PZ81B, (question, Would I better off with something else as my current signal comes through the V+ box and I wasn't planning to put a dish up for the freesat?) Also my normal viewing position is about 4.3 to 4.5m away from the screen so I think that this is the correct size screen, please feel free to correct me.

My 2nd step was going to be a new amp /receiver as I plan to watch HD disks off my PS3 but my current amp cannot accept a surround sound signal from the PS3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3rd question is where do I go from here?

A

Anonymous

I am not sure what the issue with the V+ box is (being a Sky man). Is it that there is not much HD content? I assume that will change, but you might find an upscaling AVR will help tide you over in the meantime.

I just set up my Yamaha 863SE today, a replacement for a Pioneer 915, and even my wife noticed the difference on regular TV output. I am also pretty pleased with the sound on movies and BluRay and the set up was pretty easy. Connect speakers, connect HDMIs, an optical and then ran up the automaticÿset upÿwith the microphone. And Bob was my father's brother.ÿ

What sort of budget are youÿlookingÿat? Here are a few AVR/speaker packages based on the Yamaha 863:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/hotsystemsAMP_YAM863.phpÿ

The 863/Q Acoustics looks nice. ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hello mjtoal, thanks for replying.

The comment about the V+ was to do with whether you thought there might be a better choice of TV as I wouldn't be using the freesat facility built into the Panasonic.(I can get it for about £1300)

As nice as the Yamaha 863SE is I'm afraid it's outside my budget. I was looking around £350 - £450 and then in a month or so start looking at replacement speakers.

Thanks again

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Although your Kef speakers are a few years old now, I suspect you would have to pay a great deal of money at today's prices to improve on them. ÿI also think that they would not be out of place with good amp - so, personally, I'd go for the better one and see how I liked the result. ÿCould you also save some money by choosing an equivalent Panasonic TV without Freesat?

A

Anonymous

The V+ can output Dolby Digital (presumably only on selected programmes and movies), which Freesat does not, so on that score at least the V+ would seem to be a better choice.ÿ

There are plenty of other good amps around, including the Yamaha 763, Denon 1909, Sony 2400 and Onkyo 606, all of which should be below or within budget. I have heard the Onkyos run quite warm so need some good ventilation.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hello Sorreltiger,
Although I've read several magazines and websites I cannot figure out which if any is the equivalant Panasonic without freesat, the others all seem to have different facilities, apart from the afore mentioned freesat. Have you been able to decipher which is which?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the amps that you have mentioned and let you know my choice.

Thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

According to the Humax Freesat specs on their www site, sound is output as DD where available.

Not sure about Sky's freesat which uses an ordinary SKY digibox as opposed to a Sky+ or Sky+HD box which will output DD signals.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

achron:Hello Sorreltiger,
Although I've read several magazines and websites I cannot figure out which if any is the equivalant Panasonic without freesat, the others all seem to have different facilities, apart from the afore mentioned freesat. Have you been able to decipher which is which?

I looked at the Panasonic website and compared the 81 and 80 models. You can do that here:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk:80/html/en_GB/385811/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

I reckon they are pretty much the same, apart from Freesat. The 80 is available for £999 here:

http://www.bennettsonline.co.uk/product.asp?activeproduct=01628222&utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=cpa ÿÿ

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
achron:Hello Sorreltiger,

Hi,

The Panasonic TH50PZ80B would be almost the same as the 81. Full HD set but a freeview tuner and not Freesat.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts