av receiver equalizer settings , can you explain ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
channel....front l

63hz........0db

160hz......0db

400hz......0db

1khz.......0db

2.5khz....0db

6.3khz....0db

16khz.....0db

thats what i see in the equalizer settings on my yam rxv-765 ..obviousy there are several channels , one for each speaker..

does anyone know what each of those settings changes ??

ta...

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi MAX

These are frequency bands in the audio range and can alter the sound to suit your taste or your listening environment.

Ok 63Hz Low bass, not the lowest, but if you increase this then you will feel a lot more thump.

160Hz Upper bass, mainly what you here, can give warmth to the sound.

400Hz Lower midrange .

1 KHz does midrange, this is the human voice area.

2.5 KHz Upper midrange.

6.3Khz Lower treble, increasing this can give a snare drum a lot more power, but can give a cold sound.

16 KHz Upper treble, increasing this can give a sweeter sound (of course, depending on your system), but some people can not here it.

Hope this helps. Man that was hard writing this with a head cold, I was trying all the bands on my X-FI card while I was writing so could get a feel on the sound.

Plus Audyssey system uses the bands when you use the auto set-up to match all your speakers and room environment.

A

Anonymous

hi 007 ,thanks for that detailed explanation , ill see if i can make any improvements , hope your cold is gone
emotion-21.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:hi 007 ,thanks for that detailed explanation , ill see if i can make any improvements , hope your cold is gone
emotion-21.gif

Thanks Max, its gone now left me with a hammer drill in my head.
emotion-60.gif

Like frankharveyhifi said let your auto set-up do its stuff and then tweak, as my onkyo 875 will not allow any tweaking when the auto set-up as done its stuff, so if your YAM allows it, give it ago.

I just use pure audio mode all the time on my ONK, but on my X-FI card I use EQ to the extreme for movies, games, etc.

Let us know if you do tweak the EQ and if it sounds any better.
emotion-11.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Not sure you can do this with Yamaha recievers. The YPAO auto set up does change the EQ settings so they're 'optimised' to suit the acoustic characteristics of the room, or so the theory goes. On my 1065, however, I can't actually see what these 'optimised' EQ settings are, or tweak them, and the resulting sound is a bit lean.

As you state, there's the option to change the EQ settings for each channel manually; and you might have some success after several hours of messing around. I wish my 1065 was a little more intuitive here. Might be sensible to stick with the Pure Audio mode, Max? This is a bit of a pain for me though as I don't run a sub -- and the Pure Audio mode sends the Low Frequency Effects through the dedicated sub channel (i.e. I can't route LFE through my main front speakears).

Perhaps I should buy a sub that's neighbour friendly, if that's not a contradiction in terms!

A

Anonymous

cheers guys , i recently done an auto setup , but it set all my speakers to large ? not sure it should be doing that ...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:cheers guys , i recently done an auto setup , but it set all my speakers to large ? not sure it should be doing that ...

Centre and rears should be small - personally I'd set them all to small.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
maxflinn:cheers guys , i recently done an auto setup , but it set all my speakers to large ? not sure it should be doing that ...

Centre and rears should be small - personally I'd set them all to small.

yes thats what gives me the best results david , and after researching online , it seems to be the way to do it ...

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Just set-up your speakers and set them how you feel its sounds best, large or small. But on the EQ note when my ONK done its auto set-up and when I activate the Audyssey EQ, the sound is just to duff with no life, like someone as fitted pillows all over my speakers, the worse one is my centre it must turn up the upper bass to max and the 16Khz to the lowest setting, so you guess why I turn it off.

Does anyone know if any type of Audyssey system is used in the cinema's or are they done by hand like SPL meters etc, as this may explain my showcase's duff sound as I never go to the cinema now because the sound is just to dead sounding, only good part is there bass on some films.

A

Anonymous

listening to music right now so cant be bothered tinkering with my yamaha , ill have a good look into things tmw though , and post my findings here
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've read several reviews (check out the product of the year Denon 1910 WHF review) that suggest turning off Audessy EQ is the way to go. Which makes you wonder what's the point of it in the first place, other than selling the receiver as designed to make the most of its environment, even if this is misleading.

Personally I'd love to see a receiver that does away with processing and added effects all together and concentrates on producing the absolute optimum direct sound quality. Might be a difficult sell though, especially to those who enjoy tweaking their set up.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash:Are you stating this as a rule, even with a large centre speaker? I'd be intrigued to know...

I think this area is a personal opinion, as some say set to large others small, my set-up if I set everything to small, I seem to have less bass not more, so I just stick to large.

Plus did you get your new tweeter and did you fit it your self?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash:Not yet, though I'll give it a go as soon as I get the chance. B&W send you instructions on how to replace the tweeter, so hopefully even I can't mess it up!

Sounds better then Tannoy, they just sent the tweeter to me and when I went to fit it, all I thought was how on earth do I remove the old one, and this is from someone who as being restoring speakers since I was 20, anyway I phoned them and all they said was its glued in you need to some how bang it out, now that was a really thought out design that was.

So with your B&W it seems a good system how they gone around fitting the tweeters, just like a light bulb, turn a little bit and pop it comes out, you will have to update your thread when you get around to doing it to see if it was simple to fit or not.

Soz Max for hogging your thread.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts