AV AMP with HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It had to happen. I've reached capacity with my HDMI inputs (the TV has 3 and the amp has zero!). I want to avaoid an HDMI splitter and another little remote, so I will probably upgrade my amp to one that has HDMI in. I have 4 HDMI outputs at the moment, but wouldn't neccessarily look to play 'em all through the amp. 3 HDMI in would be good, which would leave HDMI #3 on the side of the TV free for a console when the youngsters come round. I don't really need upscaling, either 'cos the V-box has that for TV and everything else upscales well. Full HD sound would be a plus, but I already have that via my 5.1 outputs from the BD player. So, I can hear the word Onkyo thundering down the pipe with painful inevitability, but what amp would the Forum recommend for me? Obviously, given the kit and room size (medium size Victorian terrace) I don't need huge power.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Onkyo TX-SR605 is the obvious choice, or if you want a serious step-up without the superior upscaling of the TX-SR875, the less expensive TX-SR805 would seem a logical buy.

A

Anonymous

The 605.... I thought as much. Are there any HD-decoding amps with 3 HDMI inputs south of £1000. Well south....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Couldn't you save money and get the 605 and connect your dvd player and V+box using component and have two hdmis free. The Virgin box can't play 1080p so component will give you just as good picture and I'm sure you can use your other HD players for SD DVD playback if need be and keep the DVD player for CDs. Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Thanks G
The problem I've got is that the Pioneer DVD is also my DVD-A/SACD and Region 1 DVD player, so an HDMI in for the picture (as a minimum) is necessary. I'll output the sound via the 5.1 outs for SACD.
Can I output the V-box at 720p (it looks better to my eyes than the 1080i - less jagged edges) via component?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that component will give you 720p on the V+. It definitely does on Sky HD. In fact a Sky installer I met recently thinks that component gives a better picture than hdmi on Sky HD - not sure about that. I also read that Pioneer plasmas need to be connected to Sky HD via component because of a certain issue - not sure what. Anyway, I understand your predicament about your DVD player - you could try it out though with component - I'm sure the picture would look fine.

TRENDING THREADS