Auto import of CD tracks into iTunes

Quoman

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I have my PC configured so that it will start importing tracks into iTunes when a CD is inserted in the tray (I have just bought a new 160Gb classic and have quite a few CDs to convert).

The problem is that every so often the auto-import will not start when the CD tray is closed. The only solution I can find to this is to stop and re-start iTunes.

The disc drive is a Phillips DVD 8881.

I have 2 questions:-

1. Why does this happen and is there a better solution than the one I currently have ?

2. Why do some CDs import much quicker than others (even ones of roughly the same length). The CDs are all very clean and scratch-free.

Any info appreciated.

John Duncan

No better solution that I can think of - one of the vagaries of computer/itune interaction I suppose, or sometimes discs which have additional AV content or somesuch may throw the PC into conniptions.

As for rip speed, what codec are you using (mp3, apple lossless, other) and do you have error correction turned on?

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
If it doesn't start to rip, you can just press the 'Import CD' button on the bottom right hand corner of the Itunes screen, rather than closing and restarting Itunes. To see the 'Import CD' button you need to be looking at the CD contents in Itunes.

I find that the more tracks on a CD the longer it takes to rip even if the total length is the same. Also CD's with copy protection take ages to rip if at all.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i think this problem is because itunes doesn't always clear the previous cd when it ejects the disc so when you put the next one in it doesn't see it porperley - i have found when this happens if you open the cd tray again and then close it it clears.

Quoman

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Good feedback folks - many thanks.

I have tried ejecting the tray and re-closing it but this has no effect.

Binman - I have found that the 'Import CD' button is not always visible - how do I 'display the contents of the disc' and thus make it visible?

When I have the problem, the CD in question is not displayed below the word DEVICES. Therefore I have nothing to click on. How can I make it visible when the CD has been inserted ?

Many thanks.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
The Import CD button is visible when you click the CD under 'Devices' - but seeing as you cant see the CD under 'Devices' I'm not sure what you can do.

Whenever I have issues like this I uninstall the software and reinstall, and if that doesn't work I check that the drivers.

TRENDING THREADS