Audiolab M-Dac and 2 x 8200m

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried an M-Dac with 2 x 8200m power amps? Or even with an 8200p?

If so, what did you think? I'm looking at selling my Rotel Ra-1520 to buy either of the above. I have read that 2 x 8200p would sound better as bi-amped. But as I only have one set of terminals on my Dynaudio X12 I would only be able to use the 1 x 8200p.

I am just thinking about the future really. I know that sometime in the future I will be getting a pair of Sonus Faber Toy Towers (Which also have one pair of binding posts) and would also invest in a pre-amp instead of using the one in the M-Dac.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
From a practical point of view the combination of the M-Dac and 8200P is near perfect. Another pre-amplifier is really not needed unless you have analogue sources you plan to play through your setup.

If you have such sources then the M-Dac may not be the best choice, there are dac pre-amps that have a mix of analogue and digital inputs if you look hard enough. There are some serious integrated amplifiers that combine digital and analogue inputs, worth standing back and taking a look at the bigger picture.

The whole bi-amping 'thing' is an expensive way of getting very small increases in performance and given your current and possible future speakers it is not possible anyway. Stay well clear, even if your speakers do allow it, just buy a better amplifier.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Dave,

Maybe the 8200p or a better integrated is the way to go then. The only source I use through the M-dac is a Sonos anyway so I will definitely be holding onto the M-dac. :dance:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DaveyBoy1980 said:
Thanks Dave,

Maybe the 8200p or a better integrated is the way to go then. The only source I use through the M-dac is a Sonos anyway so I will definitely be holding onto the M-dac. :dance:

The Sonos/M-Dac combination is the heart of a very decent system, you have all kinds of options from here.

You should do some research on the 'Cullen/W4S' mods for the Sonos. No rush, just something to look into for the future.

The M-Dac has good solid analogue outputs that will drive pretty much any amplifier, so loads of choice.

You also have the option to drive active speakers such as the bigger Dynaudios (BM12s, say), some fairly serious Adam monitors, or whatever takes your fancy.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes I have. Thanks to Audio T Cardiff. I auditioned the Audiolab kit, alongside Rega brio and Cyrus with kef speakers. Bearing in mind that I had been auditioning for about 6 months, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to move away from Linn kit, I knew that I would also be leaning towards Cyrus before starting. For Audiolab I listened to the Mdac with both the power amplifiers and the integrated, Rega was the DAC and amp combo, Cyrus was the 6 & 8 amps plus DAC and then the integrated 8 DAC.

Just to be sure, I took along my wife and mother as they hadn't heard anything previously, to cast their opinions. I also had Audio T cover the stand with a cloth, so that no one could see what was being used. Sonos was used as the source and I was ready to buy that day.

Whilst we all agreed that system A ( the Mdac power amp combo) sounded detailed, fast and had decent dynamics, side by side with the Cyrus 8 DAC, we all felt that system B was better, faster, excellent detail and drew you into the music far better (grin factor). The material was classical, rock, pop, opera and a couple of very complex jazz pieces to ensure that the amps could make audio sense of complex passages. We felt that the Cyrus was more exciting and neutral or natural, whereas the Audiolab more clinical and perhaps a Little more stressed in the upper audio spectrum. I definitely thought that the Cyrus DAC made a better job of digital sources,, making them sound more analogue than the Audiolab, altogether smoother with a greater resolution of the complex orchestral pieces that my wife likes. Mad, I know because the Mdac is very detailed anyway, but there you go. I would say that I felt that I couldn't hear the Cyrus amp and that the music was put first, whereas the Audiolab combo was more etched and highly clinical.

Both my wife and mother voted for the Cyrus over all the others, without seeing the boxes and without me or the Audio T staff saying a word.

All the best in your search.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
@ PEAYEL - Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I might be finding the M-Dac a little too clinical. I am used to a lot of detail but with less "sharp edges" It almost sounds like information overload on my ears which doesn't make for a relaxed listen over time.

It might be worth me looking into trying the Cyrus 8 QX Dac maybe which would be an amp/dac all in one.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DaveyBoy1980 said:
I think I might be finding the M-Dac a little too clinical. I am used to a lot of detail but with less "sharp edges" It almost sounds like information overload on my ears which doesn't make for a relaxed listen over time.

I used to run an M-DAC through a Cyrus X-Power into Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s, so along the same lines as you're looking at. I didn't find the M-DAC too 'sharp-edged', but that may be because the Veneres are very lush-sounding speakers.

What I'm getting at is that you should be able to achieve the sound you want with the M-DAC by combining it with the right speakers.

I agree with davedotco that bi-amping is an expensive way to make a very small improvement. Instead I'd be aiming at a good stereo power amp, something like a Croft Series 7.

:cheers:

Matt

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that Matt,

When I demo'd the Sonus Faber Toy Towers last weekend they were a very relaxed listen. And that was with an Audiolab CDQ and Rotel amp. So a similar setup to what I have now.

If I save for the speakers first I could then better match an amp to the speakers and the M-DAC to give me a complete system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts