admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current system is all Audiolab (the UK flavour!!) Namely :

8000CDM

8000DAC

8000C

8000P

(Speakers are original AE1s & there's a Linn Sondek attached too)

I'm considering adding a second 8000P in order to bi-amp. Questions are :

1. Do I use 1 power amp per channel OR one per frequency range ?

2. What level of cables would be justified to connect between

a) DAC and pre-amp

b) pre and power amp(s)

Suggestions for which cables also welcome !

(Current cables are IXOS 102 and IXOS Silver Spiral)

A

Anonymous

I would use one per frequency range. You could also, if you wanted, use two 8000M's instead of a single P to drive your bass half like I do. The M's have a little extra clout (125W vs 100W) which may be handy for rattling that woofer.

As for cabling, in both your places I'd try and get something decent. I don't have a DAC but I found some good Linn interconnects on ebay to route my pre-power stages - just make sure they are all the same length on either side. If you're going to shop around properly I'd go for something that maintains the nuetrality of the audiolab sound. Btw, I found the silver anniversary XT speaker cable very good with my 'labs.

A

Anonymous

Am I right in saying that the AE1's only have one set of connectors at the back? (like the mk III). If so, you can bi-amp, but will have to monoblock.

Out of interest, how do you find the AE1's? I have a fond persuasion for Acoustic Energy as they are British, and my first ever real hi-fi had AE floorstanders. I really want the AE1's to be near perfect, as I'd love a set one day.

A

Anonymous

The original AE1's (wot I got) have 2 sets of binding posts per speaker; I have them bi-wired at present.

I love the AE1's.... sound really good with Audiolab. For a monitor style speaker they truly are amazing

A

Anonymous

Funny you should mention the Silver Anniversary cables... that's exactly what I'm using.

I take your point on the 8000Ms but, given the size of room and speakers, think I'll go for a second P ;)

As for cables... I hadn't considered Linn (but will). My first thoughts were something from Atlas or Nordost.... but at what price point.... that's the question !

A

Anonymous

It's just a shame you can't bridge the audiolabs (the X7 can), that would be awesome.

I'm not that big on interconnect cabels myself. I'm certainly not in the 'it makes no difference' crowd, but I don't think there is as much room for difference between 2 equally priced cables as there would be for equally priced amplifiers, for example. So long as it's reviewed good and you spend the right amount (say, 10% of system cost for ALL cables) then you can't go wrong IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts