Audiolab 8200CD Reliability / System Compatibility

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. This is my first post on here as i've just joined, so please be patient if I ask daft questions or if I appear as though I don't know what i'm talking about. Because, well, I don't....

I'm thinking about buying an Audiolab 8200CD to replace my NAD. I've been happy with the NAD but feel as though there is more to come from my RX8s, and i'd like to start with the input. But before I audition the Audiolab and get carried away falling in love with it's sound, i'm a bit worried about some stories i've read about reliability; particularly with the way it reads (or doesn't read) various CDs. Be great to hear what others think of the 'lab because, as you know, the reviews are fantastic. But I see hifi as a major purchase and want to enjoy my purchases for many more years to come.

If I upgrade then I know that the amp is then going to be the weakest link, although i've been very pleased with it. But I hope it would all still work nicely together.

Also, I know the DAC will improve the playback of already downloaded files on a PC / laptop etc. But does this apply to the same extent with live streaming from Spotify too? I'd like to use Spotify a lot more, but am unsure how much a DAC would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Audiolab 8200CD for perhaps 6 months now; it has been used every day since purchase and I have yet to find a disc that it hasn't read - yes including carefully burned cdr's. It's a wonderful piece of kit - even my other half likes it as she can listen to Spoitfy through it via Squeezebox Touch. I think the reading problem was in the early incarnations of the cd player and was sorted by firmware upgrades. I might be entirely mistaken in this but that's my understanding and I'm sure far more knowledgeable people will correct me if I'm wrong. As many others have said before me though, make sure you go and have a listen.

Peter_W81 said:
Hi. This is my first post on here as i've just joined, so please be patient if I ask daft questions or if I appear as though I don't know what i'm talking about. Because, well, I don't....

I'm thinking about buying an Audiolab 8200CD to replace my NAD. I've been happy with the NAD but feel as though there is more to come from my RX8s, and i'd like to start with the input. But before I audition the Audiolab and get carried away falling in love with it's sound, i'm a bit worried about some stories i've read about reliability; particularly with the way it reads (or doesn't read) various CDs. Be great to hear what others think of the 'lab because, as you know, the reviews are fantastic. But I see hifi as a major purchase and want to enjoy my purchases for many more years to come.

If I upgrade then I know that the amp is then going to be the weakest link, although i've been very pleased with it. But I hope it would all still work nicely together.

Also, I know the DAC will improve the playback of already downloaded files on a PC / laptop etc. But does this apply to the same extent with live streaming from Spotify too? I'd like to use Spotify a lot more, but am unsure how much a DAC would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

*EDIT*

The Audiolab 8200 CDP is a very good machine. I would urge you to listen to other brands, in addition to the Audiolab. Look at Exposure 2010S, Rega Apollo-R, Arcam CD37, Roksan Kandy K2.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi , I have owned my audiolab 8200cd for nearly a year now and had no issues with it.I love the flexibility of it also ,usb ,optical ,digital inputs. Must be getting 5 star reviews for a reason.As for system matching you might want to audition first , My system sound and tastes could be far different from yours.

Jacko

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Peter - welcome,

The 8200Cd player is a fine machine - I have had one for 14 months and it has never failed to read or play a cd for me. I also believe it matches well with a wide variety of amps/speakers due to its relatively neutral tone and beautiful clarity. Well worth an audition. Good luck.

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
A quick question. I have this player. Is it supposed to hum a little bit after a while, not disturbing really, but still, there is a noise, from the transformer possibly? And is it supposed to read cdr's? I have tried a few and one didn't play at all, a cdr that has worked fine on every other cd player I've tried. Will a firmware update fix everything or there something else wrong? Very thankful for a reply!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I have had the Audiolab 8200CD for over one year and have no problems with it.
I also have MA RX6 speakers and a Rega Brio R amplifier and it all sounds great in my opinion.

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Coll said:
Hi I have had the Audiolab 8200CD for over one year and have no problems with it. I also have MA RX6 speakers and a Rega Brio R amplifier and it all sounds great in my opinion.

Thank you! Is it making any audiodable noise or hum?

Apart from these quite minor issues, I like the player a lot!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
egoBen said:
Coll said:
Hi I have had the Audiolab 8200CD for over one year and have no problems with it. I also have MA RX6 speakers and a Rega Brio R amplifier and it all sounds great in my opinion.

Thank you! Is it making any audiodable noise or hum?

Apart from these quite minor issues, I like the player a lot!

No no noise or hum and no problems reading discs etc.
In fact no problems at all. I am very pleased with all the components

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
OK, thanks for the info! I will take the player back where it was bought. Today it stopped reading another cd I was playing, very annoying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts