Audio setup for Mac mini with iTunes/Audirvana 1.5 into Devialet 200 via USBwi

Soundman

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I was successfully playing music from my Mac mini running iTunes in integrated mode with Audirvana into my Naim Dac V1 and NAP 250 with good results thanks to very clear setup instructions from Naim Audio on their website. In December 2015 I purchased a Devialet 200 to replace the two Naim boxes as the leap in sound quality was extraordinary. Unfortunately I am having trouble setting up the Mac mini to be stable. Anyone have any bright ideas? I believe that Infinite Loop has similar electronics to me. Are you still out there Infinite Loop?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
In lieu of Infinate Loop giving you more tailored advice, what problems are you having at the moment and have you tried playing audio from the Mac into the Dav without Audirvana?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Soundman said:
Unfortunately I am having trouble setting up the Mac mini to be stable. Anyone have any bright ideas?

If you're only going to use the MacMini as a digital music source, you could try running an audio optimisation script on it, which shuts down any processes not needed for this function. Google "osx computer audio script" and you'll find a few that'll do the job, but don't do this if you need the Mac to be a more general purpose device as well, as they'll turn off all kinds of stuff you might need day-to-day.

Also, make sure Audirvana is running in "Exclusive access mode", as this will enable it to 'hog' the MacMini's processor. You'll find the tickbox on the same page you use to select the Devialet as the audio device.

If all this is teaching granny to suck eggs, apologies! ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest it's the usual process of elimination. Check if your Mac will happily play reliably through to your Dev 200 without Audirvana running (even just YouTube videos, or iPlayer, try anything). If it will then you know it's the Dev which doesn't like the plugin or vice versa.

Soundman

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks for getting back to me MajorFubar and spiny norman and sorry that I haven't responded sooner. I haven't tried just running iTunes on its own into the Devialet as I have quite a few files that iTunes won't play. I really need a program like Audirvana to fix many of the issues that faces iTunes. Perhaps I need to look at jriver if Audirvana won't work with the Devialet. To answer some of your questions spiny norman. I am only using the Mac mini as a hi-fi component for music replay so I will be able to disable anything and everything that may cause trouble or slow it down. I did read that you need to find the best USB port by checking the system profile to see if any other devices are using the same port. I would have liked to use Devialet Air, but the wi-fi in my area is very congested and constantly changing. You are most certainly not teaching me to suck eggs and your advice is invaluable.

By the way, i did get the Mac mini to play initially for about three hours last week before I decided to post on this forum. The sound was not entirely right though being very bright and lacking any low frequency extension. It then reverted back to the Mac mini internal speaker! Luckily I have a cd transport that I've been using which sounds superb so I haven't been deprived of music!

Soundman

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Sorry that I haven't got back to you with my findings as I've been a bit busy. I will be looking at the setup tomorrow (Wednesday).

Soundman

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Giving up on Audirvana and just running iTunes into the Devialet 200. Shame as I have quite a few files that iTunes can't play! Thanks to both of you for your help. I will eventually get an Aurender or a Melco which will sort the problem properly. Computers are cheap but riddled with problems.

TRENDING THREADS