audio out of sync with picture

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
I have a Sony DAV-IS10 setup, a Pioneer PDP-428XD and a Sky+ box. The DAV-IS10 is connected to the TV via HDMI, and the Sky+ box is connected to the TV via Scart (for picture) and connected to the DAV-IS10 via digital optical (for sound). Watching DVDs is perfect, as you'd imagine, with sound and picture in sync. However, watching Sky Movies in DD, the audio is often completely out of sync with the picture. Is there any way to fix this?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Nads, thanks for your help. Yes, there's a lip sync feature on the DAV-IS10, but from the manual it sounds like it only works when connected to the TV via HDMI for the picture... whereas in my case the picture is going straight from the Sky+ box to the TV, and the sound is being output from the optical digital on the Sky+ box to the DAV-IS10.

In any case, I tried turning it off (it was set to 'on' by default) and it made no difference. Then turned it on again and still the same. I guess I have to replace Sky+ with Sky HD and that should work (via HDMI) but right now I just bought the Pioneer TV and the DAV-IS10 so no money left for new Sky box and subscription!

G.

A

Anonymous

Even though you can't automatically synch, the samp will have the facility to manually set it up. Then it's just a question of adjusting it and never being quite sure you've got it right
emotion-2.gif

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregch"]I have a Sony DAV-IS10 setup, a Pioneer PDP-428XD and a Sky+ box. The DAV-IS10 is connected to the TV via HDMI, and the Sky+ box is connected to the TV via Scart (for picture) and connected to the DAV-IS10 via digital optical (for sound).

Watching DVDs is perfect, as you'd imagine, with sound and picture in sync. However, watching Sky Movies in DD, the audio is often completely out of sync with the picture. Is there any way to fix this?[/quote]

Check the Sky+ sound settings. I know the Sky HD boxes have an audio delay option that allows you help fix sync issues. I'm not sure if the Sky+ boxes do but it might be worth a look.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="FuzzyinLondon"][quote user="gregch"]I have a Sony DAV-IS10 setup, a Pioneer PDP-428XD and a Sky+ box. The DAV-IS10 is connected to the TV via HDMI, and the Sky+ box is connected to the TV via Scart (for picture) and connected to the DAV-IS10 via digital optical (for sound).

Watching DVDs is perfect, as you'd imagine, with sound and picture in sync. However, watching Sky Movies in DD, the audio is often completely out of sync with the picture. Is there any way to fix this?[/quote]

Check the Sky+ sound settings. I know the Sky HD boxes have an audio delay option that allows you help fix sync issues. I'm not sure if the Sky+ boxes do but it might be worth a look.[/quote]

Thanks mate, but I just took a look and couldn't find that feature on the Sky+. Also, there doesn't seem to be an option on the DAV-IS10 (surround amp and dvd in-a-box) to set a manual delay time - just sync on or off but only with HDMI connection.

A

Anonymous

I had the same issue when watching TV through my Sky digibox. It is easily solved.

1. Press the System Menu button
2. Use the up/down arrows to select "A/V Sync"
3. Press the + key to enter the menu
4. Use the up/down arrows to select "LONG" or "SHORT" delay
5. Press the + key to save the setting

Hope this helps

Steve

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Hovisbap"]
I had the same issue when watching TV through my Sky digibox. It is easily solved.

1. Press the System Menu button
2. Use the up/down arrows to select "A/V Sync"
3. Press the + key to enter the menu
4. Use the up/down arrows to select "LONG" or "SHORT" delay
5. Press the + key to save the setting

Hope this helps

Steve

[/quote]

Thank you so much! I evidently hadn't read the manual properly. Haven't tried it yet, but that sounds like the solution I was looking for, great stuff.

A

Anonymous

Can anyone confirm or deny that manually syncing the audio can be done from an external source, such as an analogue line-in or optical digital in?

I am considering the DAV-IS10 but the sound output from my TV on my current amp is currently a frame or two ahead of the picture on my TV so I need to be able to set audio delay on the Sony for this external input. The manual makes it sound like this feature is only available for playback from the internal DVD player.

Many thanks in advance

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Chris The Ninja Pirate"]
Can anyone confirm or deny that manually syncing the audio can be done from an external source, such as an analogue line-in or optical digital in?

ÿI am considering the DAV-IS10 but the sound output from my TV on my current amp is currently a frame or two ahead of the picture on my TV so I need to be able to set audio delay on the Sony for this external input. The manual makes it sound like this feature is only available for playback from the internal DVD player.

Many thanks in advance
ÿ
[/quote]

Yes it can be done. The sync feature you refer to for the internal DVD player is automatic, via HDMI, but you can also manually adjust sync for other sources using the System Menu > AV Sync method described very helpfully by Hovisbap above. I use this with the Sky+ box (connected via digital optical) and it works fine! And thanks again to Hovisbap for pointing it out to me!

A

Anonymous

Cheers Gregch, that is really NOT apparent from the manual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts