Audio Friendly (Ebay) Mains Cables - Worth a Try

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
I’ve recently bought 3nr-shielded mains cables and a mains extension block from Audio Friendly off Ebay. I’ve been so impressed by the results I though I’d share my experiences. First off, I do think cables make a difference but I don’t think there is a need to spend a fortune. This has come from some experimentation with speaker cable…I now just use 4Nr 256 strand OFC speaker cable to each speaker. The only exception is with interconnects. I decided to take a gamble on the mains cables, as I’ve near how they can make a difference in other peoples systems. I also have a music works mains cable which I use. My system is: Musical Fidelity A3 (CD Transport) Naim DAC Musical Fidelity A1 FBP Preamp Musical Fidelity 550k Mono Block Amplifiers Audiovector Mi1 Signatures on Partington Super dreadnaught stands Nordost Red Dawn Interconnects throughout I plugged the cables into preamp and mono blocks and the difference is substantial in several areas. They system sounds more “black” or “dead” and as a result of this I’m hearing more detail than before. Another major benefit is that the system sounds more “solid” and “substantial” especially during big / dynamic passages. The cables have also helped to tighten up the bass, and got rid of some bloomy bass, as its now more defined. Personally I would say that when people say that hifi sound better at night its not because the mains is less polluted. I would say its because the ambient noise level has dropped significantly, and it’s a similar effect with these mains cables. The cables are shielded and use 3Nr x 2.5mm2 cables, compared to the 3Nr x 0.75mm2 cables they have replaced. I think that the main reason why I’ve has such good results from the speaker cable, is because (IMO) I have a good system to begin with allowing you to hear the benefits.
The whole lot cost me £100 - £120 ish, and I have to say, on a value for money basis its one of the best upgrades I have done. If you have got a good system, its worth the gamble and I thoroughly recommend giving them a go. I plan on buying another mains cable for my DAC when I get next.

A

Anonymous

What's the length of the cable from your amp to your speakers?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree that cables and IC make a different but I personally will not go overboard spending more than 300 quid for them. Even 300 quid, I only reserve for XLR ICs.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I did my DIY and made a 3m length of this thick power cable from Audio Friendly as extension for my TV set a year ago. In addition I placed two ferrites on both ends of the cable as well. The cable has very thick wire mesh enclosing the three wires and I belive it is this wire mesh shields away all the RHF noice from the air and the power line is therefore cleaner. The theory is the same as other more expensive power cable like Chord and Clear Audio that I am now using.

A

Anonymous

It's almost useless to shield or buy shielded speaker cables.

The signal is already amplified, so there must be a lot of interference to compromise the SQ while reaching the speakers.

A different story is a signal cable (ie: an interconnect between, let's say, your source and your amp) because the signal will be quite weak and susceptible to even low interferences. Also bear in mind that the signal will be amplified, so if it is not clean, all the interferences will be amplified as well.

A

Anonymous

Ooooops!

Sorry, got confused! :p

I thought that Main Cables were Speaker cables because I've always known the power cord as power cables.

I've got to be careful about terminology. ^^'

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
The other bloke, it right, I should have said mains cable, at the end of my post, rather than speaker cable. I would Edit it, but the forums dont let you do that!

TRENDING THREADS