Atlas Navigator interconnect

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

A while back I mentioned picking one of these up as the price has dropped siginificantly from the original RRP and could be had for a song (from various sellers).

For those who've been lucky enough to miss the rants and opposing opinions these discussions/arguments often end up becoming, I'll fill in a little on the history here. Been through a bunch of cables over the years - van den hul (The Name), Audioquest (Turquoise and Copperhead), generic (Computergear), Monster (Interlink something or other), DNM Reson and QED Qunex 2. All of these ranged from £8 to around £80 for the DNMs. None of them really exhibited any major differences - they're all copper, the music didn't sound vastly different and nothing like the "night and day" differences suggested in some of the blurb.

So why bother with a pair of even more expensive cables from yet another manufacturer? Well, the logic's kind of "surely a £225 cable will highlight a significant difference over one at a quarter of the price" and so, £80 lighter thanks to an accepted offer with Music Matters who shipped it out the other week, the Atlas cables navigated their way here (sorry...).

They're robust alright, pretty stiff, a tad thicker than the QEDs I use, about the same as the Computergear ones. Plugged them in an didn't listen to them for ages - I don't personally buy-in to the "burning in" theory with a cable but didn't want to be in the position of not giving them a fair crack of the whip, so let them sit connected to the amp from the CDP and used the QEDs on the Spitfire II. Finally started listening to them late this week.

End results for me are a slight difference between the QEDs, noticeably different, but don't read that as being justifiably ten times different given the costs of the cables at full price. Even at £80, the QEDs aren't poor by any comparison.

Where are the differences? A little more openness around the music really. The measurements fans on other sites will no doubt scoff, but they scoff at anything that doesn't fit in their (limited) frame of reference. Am I happy with the end result? Yes and no. Is the difference worth £200-odd, no way. Would I spend £200 on the Navigators? No. Am I happy at spending £80 on them? Sort of, but when I think that the £80 would have gone some way in paying for a new amp which would've delivered greater results.

Ultimately, has my position changed? Not really. My stated position is I haven't heard a difference in sub-£80 cables and had never heard an expensive one. I now have, but the gap between the Qunex and the Navigator isn't as great as one might expect but there is a slight difference between the two. Would I lose any more sleep over it, or buy other more expensive cables, even at reduced prices? On this evidence, no but would recommend anyone tempted checks out the deals on older Atlas cables out there just now - just don't expect "night and day", more "late afternoon and dusk" really.

T

the record spot

Not at all CNo, in fact, it only confirms what I've said before, but you've maybe not read all of those comments understandably.

My position remains, as stated, no difference for similar products by a variety of manufacturers using copper under £80, which is what I'd always said. Any differences that might exist in more expensive wires are going to be minimal if at all and is the case here, so I wouldn't hang my coat on a shoogly peg, but do feel free to be my guest.

EDIT: Incidentally, if I didn't make it clear earlier, I'd be even more inclined to put the money into the core components to change the sound based on my experiences here - £30 Qunex 2 against £230 cables, well, the smart money has to be on putting that extra cash to a better component if one wishes to alter their sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
Not at all CNo, in fact, it only confirms what I've said before, but you've maybe not read all of those comments understandably.

My position remains, as stated, no difference for similar products by a variety of manufacturers using copper under £80, which is what I'd always said. Any differences that might exist in more expensive wires are going to be minimal if at all and is the case here, so I wouldn't hang my coat on a shoogly peg, but do feel free to be my guest.

EDIT: Incidentally, if I didn't make it clear earlier, I'd be even more inclined to put the money into the core components to change the sound based on my experiences here - £30 Qunex 2 against £230 cables, well, the smart money has to be on putting that extra cash to a better component if one wishes to alter their sound.

100% agree.

If the money spent on cables could be used elsewhere to give more improvement, then that's where it should be allocated.

In the context of an expensive system, the money spent on cables might be the cheaper option.

T

the record spot

It depends on what you mean by "expensive" - if we're at the stage of £000s of gear, then diminishing returns and an acceptance that you're at the limit of what you can achieve without going into a production studio or adding more elements into the reproduction chain have to kick in and you come to a stop. The biggest change I had outside of components was moving the speakers around and buying up good quality masterings of recordings I wanted - that remains true still (IMHO obviously!).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I applaud you for you honest opinion spot

I use atlas titans myself.

My personal opinion is that if you had a full compliment of OCC cables (interconnects and speaker cables) and a clean mains supply youd have probably heard more of a difference when you fitted the cables. If an interconnect lets more detail through but the speaker cables dont then you wont gain much

As for price - im sort of in agreement with you. Ive been testing cables on a very expensive system, and can say for certain that spending more on such a system is worthwhile as to get any sonic benefits with hardware would be going into the 20k region (at a guess)

T

the record spot

Cheers Rik, I nearly went for the Titans myself, but decided £100 (as they were on discount) was more than I wanted to pay at the time. The £80 for the Navigators was enough in the end. I'm not so sure about going the whole hog with mains conditioners (already used the massive BT MCU) and I'm probably not going to go down the speaker cable route given the current 322-strand does as well as the Audioquest Type IV did. Diminishing returns again and the cost is a big inhibitor for me.

TRENDING THREADS