ATC speakers - factory visit.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Great system post linked. I hadn't seen it.

Im very jealous that your buying the 50's or 100's.

As for the sound with the bass issue you described, i found exactly the same thing when i recently sold my Krell Kav 300i and replaced it with my Chapter Audio Preface+ & Couplet.
I also use a Sub in my system, but found there to be less bass on some discs and certain frequencies.

The amps hadn't been used for a while except the odd demo in the shop i bought them from so needed to warm up. The sound did fill out a bit over the first day or 2. But i think its just the honest nature of the setup. When there is real bass there, you really know about it. But on some discs the quality of bass just isn't there so you don't hear it. Like whatever you were hearing it on before was glorifying it.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Wow! Thanks
emotion-1.gif
Great pics (and system)

Interesting to hear you preferred the Chordette Gem to the Grace m902 (especially considering the price difference). How do you think the Benchmark DAC compares to the Gem?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
MattSPL

Re the bass I think it is really a mix of me being used to sub sound and the honest presentation of the ATCs (may be even can be called lean). Anyhow, what I will do is experiment with/without my current sub and maybe get a new one one day if at all required. I hope a very subtle assistance from a sub will do.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Al13N.

yes. I wanted very much to like the Grace, but the gem was a clear winner.

I find the sound of teh Benchmark and the Gem very close, although I still have not done a thorough comparative listen. I am not really bothered, the differences are so small. And the price difference is more than covered by the superiour Benchmark's spec and functionality - multiple inputs, including analog, vol contorol, remote, balanced and unbalanced outs, calibration...

A

Anonymous

I have just heard a pair of ATC SCM 50ASLT and these are the sound I WANT.

I just have a quick question. What's the difference between the SCM50ASL Tower and anniversary edition? Is there a huge sound difference?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I know of two differences:
a) finish - normally burr magnolia plus a stripe at the lower part
b) use of disrcrete elements instead of (some?) integrated circuites. i.e. what in a normal model is a chip is actually built on a pcb from separate resistors/transistors/solenoids/capacitors etc.
There may be other differences that I do not know of. sources to check: there may be something on this in the ATC literature or a good dealer will know and/or can find out from ATC.

Sound difference - do not know as never compared the two or even heard the anniversaies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts