ATC SCM19 or ATC SCM40

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I am about to upgrade my speakers and have the choice between the ATC SCM19's or the ATC SCM40's. I was planning on getting bookshelf speakers due to the size of my room and also so that I could crank up the tunes a bit without shaking the house next door. However, I have the opportunity to get the 40's at a slightly reduced rate.

Anyone who has owned either or both and would like to share their experiences would be helping me out a great deal.

Cheers!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
12Designs said:
Hi

I am about to upgrade my speakers and have the choice between the ATC SCM19's or the ATC SCM40's. I was planning on getting bookshelf speakers due to the size of my room and also so that I could crank up the tunes a bit without shaking the house next door. However, I have the opportunity to get the 40's at a slightly reduced rate.

Anyone who has owned either or both and would like to share their experiences would be helping me out a great deal.

Cheers!

Hi,

What amp and source will you be using the ATC with? The reason I ask is that and forgive me if you already know this. Being a very neutral speaker, as I know to my cost, having previously owned SCM40's, it takes careful matching with the other components.

Mac

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I will be using an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated and 9P power amplifier, and a Arcam Alpha 9 CD player. The integrated amp and CD player have both been heavily modified and the power amp has had a few mods as well.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Out of the two, all things being equal, I would chose the 19 over the 40 every time. Much better integration between the drivers, great bass dynamics and slam. Just sounded better overall to me, for the price of the 40 I would look at an audition of the 20SL for not a massive amount more.

I would certainly demo before you buy though,

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
12Designs said:
Hi

Cheers!
I find that the scm40s deliver fantastic well intergreated sound from even low volume setting right up to mind blowing levels its always a good idea to make sure that the people next door and next door to them are out when you play as you will not hear them knocking to ask you to turn it down what sort of music and how big is your room my listening room is about 3 x 4 meters you will have no problems with placment as you proberbley know that there infinate baffle see if you can get a home dem good luck whichever you chose

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
12Designs said:
Hi

What speakers are you currently using?

While the SCM40 has an advantage being a three-way design, it doesn't use the higher quality SL driver that the SCM19's do, which is used in ATC's higher quality passive and active models.

I personally prefer the SCM19's over the SCM40's - they're such different speakers that they seem to divide opinion. As already mentioned, the SCM40's do require much more careful partnering. Do get a demo of them with your existing amplification if you intend on sticking with them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
12Designs said:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will be upgrading from a pair of Acoustic Energy AE120's

While you may well end up with a pair of better quality speakers, you have to be careful that you stay within your amplifier's capabilities.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is my one concern, that the Arcam 9 & 9P are not up to the task.

Although I have no doubt that the modified CD player can play well at this new price point the current amplification may have to be upgraded.

Any thoughts or recommendation for future reference?

Hi 12Designs

As superb as ATC's SLMT mid/bass driive unit used in SCM19 monitors is however all things being equal SCM40 monitors outperform SCM19 monitors by a big margin in practically every area below HF. The main reason for this performance advantage is down to the SCM40's incorporating ATC's legenday state of the art original studio Soft Dome mid range drive unit. I feel that Toyota man has fairly highlighted some of the qualities of SCM40 monitors earlier in this thread. Fwiw, since 2006 ( after auditioning) I have yet to have a client choose SCM19's over SCM40's. Imo, SCM40 monitors are probably the finest VFM passive speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

Anyway, ultimately though SCM40 monitors will benefit from higher quality of amplification (such as a Plinius Hautonga, Naim NAC 202/Hi CAP/ NAPSC/NAP 250, ATC SIA2-150 MK2) however in the mean time your Aplha 9 & 9P (particularly if used bi amplification configuration) are more than capable of being powering SCM40 monitors. If you're happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then ATC's SIA2-150 MK1 is worth bearing in mind as an SIA2-150 MK1 will also provide a worthwhile upgrade in quantity and quality of power and performance. Btw, I just want to be clear in that Musicraft does not deal in used components.

ATC studio Soft Dome monitoring. The sound of accuracy.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Rick, thanks for this helpful information, just what I was looking for. I will get the 40's and see how things pan out with the Arcams for now. I have been looking at upgrading the amp, especially to a Lavardin but your suggestions have thrown some new options into the mix. Food for thought. Thanks again.

12Designs said:
Rick, thanks for this helpful information, just what I was looking for. I will get the 40's and see how things pan out with the Arcams for now. I have been looking at upgrading the amp, especially to a Lavardin but your suggestions have thrown some new options into the mix. Food for thought. Thanks again.

Hi 12Designs

Your welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
12Designs said:

As superb as Lavardin amps are, I'm not sure they would drive the 40's well enough.

Mac

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am actually getting the ATC 40's as a part of a business deal and probably wouldn't have chosen them otherwise. I will have a listen to them but have a sneaky feeling that I will sell them on quite quickly for a few reasons. 1. I have a reasonably small place. 2 I have older amps that probably won't get the best out of the ATC's and 3. I was planning to move on from floor standers to bookshelf speakers. I could get the 19's but the resale value on the 40's is greater which gets me closer to what I actually would like (Triangle Duetto SW2). Although I haven't yet heard the ATC's I am not personally in to the clinical, monitor sound. Maybe I will be surprised, who knows...

Anyway. No home demo so I will have to see how I find them when I get them.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
12Designs said:
I am actually getting the ATC 40's as a part of a business deal and probably wouldn't have chosen them otherwise. I will have a listen to them but have a sneaky feeling that I will sell them on quite quickly for a few reasons. 1. I have a reasonably small place. 2 I have older amps that probably won't get the best out of the ATC's and 3. I was planning to move on from floor standers to bookshelf speakers. I could get the 19's but the resale value on the 40's is greater which gets me closer to what I actually would like (Triangle Duetto SW2). Although I haven't yet heard the ATC's I am not personally in to the clinical, monitor sound. Maybe I will be surprised, who knows...

Anyway. No home demo so I will have to see how I find them when I get them.

OK, let us know how you get on.

Mac

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey there!

ive heard the ATC SCM 40s through the Naim NAP 300 and 282...

and I felt the sound was absolutely beautiful! Except, i felt that the mid to upper frequency range needs a lot of effort to get right... They are great! But I felt the amplifier and speaker matching needed slightly more care to get the detail in the mid to upper right... Of course with ATCs own SIA, it was remedied, but it lost Naims pace and timing...

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
We have moved house and I simply don't have the room for the 19's or the 40's so it's back to the drawing board. Might have a look at the 11's...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts